Mt Fossil Id

dkmarb

Found in central MT last year on the Missouri Breaks north of Winnett. Km, Montana group, sandstone/shale. Hillside covered with these. Outer covering (white parts) enamel-like a pearl.

post-998-1226445379_thumb.jpg

post-998-1226445738_thumb.jpg

It looks like a concretion to me, I am sure someone else will be along shotly to add their 2 cents in. Welcome to the forum.

i'm not seeing the white enamel to which you refer. i'm not noticing any indication that the object is a fossil...

Baculite section.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I some times use a magnifying glass to look for suture marks if they are not real clear, it does help to ID things easier.

It looks like Spiderman to me...

No, really interesting peice. Spot was littered with them eh?

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

I some times use a magnifying glass to look for suture marks if they are not real clear, it does help to ID things easier.

Thanks very much for all the input. Just one more...

post-998-1226449956_thumb.jpg

post-998-1226449966_thumb.jpg

post-998-1226449972_thumb.jpg

post-998-1226449982_thumb.jpg

i'm not seeing the white enamel to which you refer. i'm not noticing any indication that the object is a fossil...

Here are some more pics of others where the white is more distinctive.

post-998-1226450258_thumb.jpg

post-998-1226450268_thumb.jpg

post-998-1226450276_thumb.jpg

wow, that's cool. i don't know what it is, but i like it. kind of like a smoky cross between antique ivory and melted paraffin. pretty cool. Chiaroscuro makes me happy.

the dentition appears similar to that of some elephants, but then again, there's a passing resemblance to that of rhinos. which leads me to believe, <drumroll> it's from an elephino. nahhhhh...

It has folds like a tooth/molar

I think it looks like a piece of oyster shell bed conglomerate, but hard to tell...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!