Winner Of The March 2013 Vertebrate Fossil Of The Month

Cris

Congrats PetrolPete. It is a very rare fossil. I just seen one time a part of a jaw (about 15 cm long) with several teeth.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Congratulations!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Congratulations. Definitely one of the best fossils I've had the pleasure of seeing!

This has a shot at Fossil of the Year :)

Outstanding find!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks everyone. It was a really tough competition this month, there were a lot of amazing finds!

In case anyone wanted to see the current state of the entire jaw I found it with, I've pieced it back together to this point:
post-8113-0-54821000-1365961845_thumb.jpg

There are the bases for a couple other teeth on there, but no other blades have been found yet.

Mick69 and I've been talking to a paleontologist from the Sam Noble museum about helping get a paper written on the location for all the shark material we've found there, and although the first meeting was cancelled due to inclement weather, hopefully we can reschedule soon.

The paleontologist also recently found a 1955 thesis paper from OU on the general area confirming that this came from the Excello Shale member of the Senora Formation and that edestus are apparently known to be found in the area.

Thanks again everyone! :)

Thanks everyone. It was a really tough competition this month, there were a lot of amazing finds!

In case anyone wanted to see the current state of the entire jaw I found it with, I've pieced it back together to this point:

attachicon.gifIMG_1074.jpg

There are the bases for a couple other teeth on there, but no other blades have been found yet.

Mick69 and I've been talking to a paleontologist from the Sam Noble museum about helping get a paper written on the location for all the shark material we've found there, and although the first meeting was cancelled due to inclement weather, hopefully we can reschedule soon.

The paleontologist also recently found a 1955 thesis paper from OU on the general area confirming that this came from the Excello Shale member of the Senora Formation and that edestus are apparently known to be found in the area.

Thanks again everyone! :)

The Sam Noble museum is a fantastic facility. All my Oklahoma new and significant fossils are donated there.

If you get into the fossil stores downstairs, ask them to see my Permian material. I have donated a great deal of specimens from the Permian to the museum. Dan also has a gorgeous permian skull there as well!