Anyone Have Any Thoughts On What This Might Be?

claire01

Cretaceous, Texas, Eagle Ford.

post-7100-0-70991100-1365910172_thumb.jpg

post-7100-0-27282400-1365910194_thumb.jpg

I wet it down so the pattern would show up better.

Here are pics of each end:

post-7100-0-63788700-1365941941_thumb.jpg

post-7100-0-13251600-1365942009_thumb.jpg

Edited by claire01

It looks like a fossilized burrow. Judging by the color it may have come from the Britton Formation, although your example does not look exactly like the ones I have seen from that formation. In that formation, particularly in the ammonite zone known as the Sciponoceras gracile Zone, you can sometimes find many pieces of fossilized burrow. The interesting thing about them is that they have been in-filled with crab poop. I guess the crab would live in the burrow, poop, push it to the bottom, etc. Over a very long time the burrow would get full of poop and I guess the crab would have to move. Seriously, though, many burrows in-filled with poop have been fossilized. I have attached an image of some pieces from an old local site.

post-5008-0-22377100-1365911525_thumb.jpg

Yes, I have found those also, and thank you for enlightening me! I have wondered exactly what they were. But this one looks different to me. It seems to have a more regular pattern. Thanks, Vertman!

Claire,

Can you see any indication of bones in the end view (verts, etc.)? I looked at your pics, but I can't see anything for sure, but what's the item I circled in your image?:

I agree with you that it looks like scales. If that's the case, it might be a three-dimensional preservation of a fish. I've been prepping one that I found last year. The scales are visible on the outside and it looks like the inside is just filled with limestone. However, once removed, the verts can be found inside the limestone.

post-6450-0-52324600-1365951415_thumb.jpg

post-6450-0-97845300-1365951436_thumb.jpg

post-6450-0-60626600-1365951948_thumb.jpg

Edited by sward
  • I found this Informative 1

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

That would be so cool. I gave the area you circled another scrub and took a photo outside:post-7100-0-38755000-1365952973_thumb.jpg

Is that better?

And no, I don't see anything bonelike :(

Edited by claire01

I can't say for sure, but the symmetry in the circled area makes me a little curious.

Do you have any way to scrape away some of the material around the "cross" area that I have circled to see what else you can expose?

EDIT: Looking at the new pic you loaded again, it looks like the "scaly" looking material (outer layer - above the line) has been removed from this end. However, the area underneath the outer scaly pattern (below the line) looks like it has the same scaly pattern. If this same scaly pattern exists underneath the outer scaly pattern (on both sides of the line), it may reinforce vertman's identification as crab poop. Vertman knows what he's talking about. :(

post-6450-0-21859100-1365955066_thumb.jpg

Edited by sward

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA

Any recommendations on how best to do this? I started to scrape the area with the tip if a small screwdriver, but I'm worried I'm going to do more harm than good. The pics make the area look large, but that cross like section is not much bigger than 1/4 inch or so.

Here's a side view: post-7100-0-14155100-1365954963_thumb.jpg

Edited by claire01

Any recommendations on how best to do this? I started to scrape the area with the tip if a small screwdriver, but I'm worried I'm going to do more harm than good. The pics make the area look large, but that cross like section is not much bigger than 1/4 inch or so.

Here's a side view: attachicon.gifimage.jpg

A 1/4 inch vert would not be unusual. Do you have any sort of small pointed device (nut pick, compass or divider from a drafting set, etc.) that could scrape away some material from around the cross to expose the cross area better? (Referencing a "drafting set"...I'm just showing my age now. I assume drafting sets are considered antiques now.) :wacko:

Also, I'm now curious about the circled items in your new image.

post-6450-0-11772300-1365955705_thumb.jpg

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but this piece reminds me of the three-dimensional fish I recovered. I would love for this to be more than an infilled burrow for you.

You have the specimen in-hand. You'll be a better judge if any of this looks bone-like.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA

Actually, I do have a drafting set! I picked it up at a resale shop years ago thinking it might some day come in handy. Now if I can just remember where I put it...(now I'm showing my age!). Thank you so much Sward, I'll find that set and get to work.

Update: I haven't made an enormous amount of progress, but I did make some. Here are some new pics:

Vert? Or little man with outstretched arms? You decide :)post-7100-0-44155000-1365978133_thumb.jpg.

Side view:

post-7100-0-16253000-1365978263_thumb.jpg

The other side:

post-7100-0-24936400-1365978414_thumb.jpg

One more:

post-7100-0-77054200-1365978483_thumb.jpg

I think this one is a little clearer:

post-7100-0-35465400-1365978949_thumb.jpg

Edited by claire01

By gosh, I think you have a fish there :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A fish would be really cool. It's nice when a kind-of-looks-like-something ends up being that something. :)

Context is critical.

Claire01,

Any chance we could meet so I could see this piece in person? I am in Garland. My family and I would welcome you coming over to my place. I don't get very many chances to show off my humble fossil collection. I would also meet you somewhere if that would work better. I would like to see the specimen. I am having real trouble with trying to identify off the images.

Yes, Missourian-very exciting to hear the good news! I was prepared for the verdict to be poop (again) so it was a very nice surprise. And thank you Vertman, I would be honored to see your collection and show you this fossil in person. My plate is a little full right now but I will message you and see if we can figure something out. Thanks again you guys!

claire,

Take vertman up on his offer to see his "humble collection". He has an amazing collection! He's a wealth of knowledge so I'm sure you'll learn alot when you meet.

After reviewing it, if he says its crab poop, then its crab poop.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA

I admit, I'll feel more confident about it being a fish after a hands on viewing by someone. I HAVE found fish verts in close proximity to where I found this and there is a fair amount of fossilized fecal material in this same area, none of which look like this. I know there's always a first time, though. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• I found this Informative 1

Claire,

The more I look at this, the more I believe vertman may be correct. But remember, I'm no good at id's.

The attached pic looks like it has two layers (separated by the line). The layer above the line looks like it would be on top of the layer that's below the line. Both layers seem to have the "scaly" appearance. If it is actually two different layers and both have the scaly appearance, I would tend to think that reinforces vertman's original thought that it's an in-filled burrow.

I hope you and vertman can get together so he can take a look at it.

post-6450-0-97139100-1366198202_thumb.jpg

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA

Even after seeing this view?

post-7100-0-46770500-1366199957_thumb.jpg

Very compelling, I think! I messaged Vertman.

Edited by claire01

Even after seeing this view?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Very compelling, I think! I messaged Vertman.

The pic is a little blurry. However, I see something that appears to be symmetrical on both sides of the object, near the center. Could these be fins folded against the body?

Can you get a clearer pic?

Edited by sward

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA

I will, Sward-here in a bit. My daughter Tori is about to leave for Australia for a year and I am up to my ears today! This iPad is supposed to be the one that takes better pictures, so I think imy photography skills are the problem :) and, yes, I'm hoping that's exactly what those are.