What Is Saturdays Fossil?

kg1

Yeah I have a crappy camera in my phone, sorry about the quality, but it was found on the Oregon coast.

Even with a crappy phone camera, some well-lit outdoor photos would probably help jumpstart an ID.

• 2 weeks later...

I started working on this and it appears there are tiny little teeth being uncovered.....post-7869-0-17722600-1367382692_thumb.jpg

looks like fish teeth and an assortment of bones also looks like a possible vert at the bottom of shot

Could they be bird bones? I was thinking pterodaustro, they had a comb like teeth for sieving food

post-11495-0-47080500-1367404992_thumb.jpg

Edited by Batty

I would guess fish as well. Most of the jumbled bones in concretions i pick up along the Oregon coast end up prepping out to be fish. That being said i have never found any with visible teeth. I have heard of folks collecting fish jaws with teeth in the area though. Can't wait to see what the prep reveals. Keep us posted.

- Nick

ok, here is a couple more pictures after today's prep work....definitely not a bird. What kind of fish though?post-7869-0-80165100-1367902417_thumb.jpgpost-7869-0-65756600-1367902382_thumb.jpg

Is there anyway you could get a closeup shot of just the teeth?

Welcome to the forum!

no ideas on what type of fish yet? attachicon.gifBone close up 5-8-13.jpg

I worked on a charter boat here in Charleston SC...It kinda reminds me of a wrasse/grouper/snapper or something...a large, stocky reef fish. I don't know how that translates to west coast paloefauna...but maybe a starting point.

It looks awesome, whatever it is! Do you plan to continue prepping it?

Edited by Sharks of SC

I will try to get a close up of the teeth tonight maybe, and yes I'm going to work on it some more over the next couple weeks time permitting.

peg-like teeth? Lepidotus jurassic/ cretaceous A Gar relative

Sargus Miocene A bream relative

Just guessing

here are 2 different pictures of the teeth area. My poor editing skill is showing in the 2nd photo with black lines in it. (its not in the fossil....really lol) post-7869-0-41239900-1368303975_thumb.jpgpost-7869-0-57200700-1368304290_thumb.jpg

Edited by kg1

No help on ID - Its looking great though! How much more prep are you going to do?

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

That's looking more snapperish, the mouth and the area above it look very snapper like. We had one for tea Monday night, will try find the head for comparison. Can you tell if the jaw is hinged? And the shape of the gill rakes and scales would narrow it down.

Edited by Batty

Havent really decided yet on how much more I'm going to do. If I had a bigger airscribe, then I would consider continuing to the other side. Anybody have a bigger airscribe than mine that they want to donate?