A Craft That Can Be Done With Fossils...

lissa318

I look at crafty things online a lot and thought this was worth sharing. The trilobites in the picture shown made me smile and thought some of you may be interested in making trilobite, shell or plant magnets with imprints of your own finds? Anyways, here's the link!

Sorry link won't upload...

post-8801-0-42201800-1366470903_thumb.jpg

Hopefully that pic will come up... made with just clay, paint and magnets to attach to the back. :)

Edited by lissa318
  • I found this Informative 2

Very cool.

Come to think of it, loose Utah Elrathia trilobites (the type in the pic), would make nice little refrigerator magnets, as would ammonites, or plants in concretions, or..... :)

Context is critical.

I look at crafty things online a lot and thought this was worth sharing. The trilobites in the picture shown made me smile and thought some of you may be interested in making trilobite, shell or plant magnets with imprints of your own finds? Anyways, here's the link!

Sorry link won't upload...

attachicon.gif_facebook_-2086389816_.jpg

Hopefully that pic will come up... made with just clay, paint and magnets to attach to the back. :)

This is a great idea. Thanks for the inspiration!!

~Lise MacFadden - Arkona, Ontario, Canada

Very cool.

Come to think of it, loose Utah Elrathia trilobites (the type in the pic), would make nice little refrigerator magnets, as would ammonites, or plants in concretions, or..... :)

This is a great idea. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Thanks guys! I thought it was a cool idea! I should add that if you do this, you should let the clay harden before painting. And acrylic paint is probably best... If you want it to have an older water worn look add a little water in with the paint. :) You could also make small imprints with just a little clay, cut a small hole out at the top and make a cool necklace? :) Edited by lissa318
  • I found this Informative 1

Thanks guys! I thought it was a cool idea! I should add that if you do this, you should let the clay harden before painting. And acrylic paint is best... If you want it to have an older water worn look add a little water in with the paint. :) You could also make small imprints with just a little clay, cut a small hole out at the top and make a cool necklace? :)

That's just what I was thinking! I will experiment with that idea! If I get one made successfully I will post it here.

~Lise MacFadden - Arkona, Ontario, Canada

That's just what I was thinking! I will experiment with that idea! If I get one made successfully I will post it here.

Oh PLEASE make sure you do!!!! I would love to see it! :D

My daughter made this a few years ago. Orbitolina texana (forams) glued onto plywood.i

post-1875-0-08209300-1366496382_thumb.jpg

Edited by erose

My daughter made this a few years ago. Orbitolina texana (forams) glued onto plywood.i

Foram rhinestones.... I approve. :)

Context is critical.

Great idea!

This is a great idea! THANK YOU!

Bev :)

That is great erose! Love the color and the design! Shows there are lots of cool things that can be done with a little bit of creativity... :D And glad some of you are interested in doing this. I must admit Bev, that you popped in my head as soon as I saw it.... lol! Be sure to add pics if you make some. Oh, and a cheap rolling pin will help tremendously. :D

The clay that hardens in a low temp. oven works well. I have made molds/casts with Hydrocal, you can tint it as you mix it.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks