Antiquilima Succincta - Lyme Regis

Terry Dactyll

I managed a quick collecting trip yesterday at Lyme Regis whilst I was there for other business and I dropped on a decent specimen of a poorly known bivalve from the area Antiquilima succincta which was Id'd for me by Chris & Paddy who were undertaking the regular guided fossil walk on behalf of Lyme Regis Museum at the time... Very knowledgeable guys for sure...I also found a 10 " (I think) Sulciferites (will know better when its prepped) which is great as this shell displays subtle ribbing at this size where my bigger ones are smooth and possibly a smaller Vermiceras of some description.....

In the Palaeontological Association Field Guide - Fossils from the Lower Lias of the Dorset Coast, the bivavlve is described as '' shell covered with numerous irregular ribs, usually with a concave anterior margin, and is recorded from a poorly preserved specimen collected from bed 4 of the blue lias''....this shell was loose on the beach so difficult to pin down to a horizon although it was freash out of the cliff being still covered in a muddy film and not sea worn....

I'm hoping to get it lightly air abraided with a soft powder to remove more of the sediments and the mud layer stuck to it.... I dont have an air abraider myself so I'll post an image when its finished at a later date after I get it done...

post-1630-0-60142000-1366962167_thumb.jpg

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Great find, makes me even more excited to be heading up to Lyme Regis end of this year!

Summers on it's way, better do as much collecting now as you can before the pickings get really slim.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Dave.... I gave it a wash with a scrubbing brush soap and water... It brought out the patina details more clearly....I still think it needs finishing with bicarb though, I'll try and get it done at somepoint then do the penwork on the matrix myself...Look how the edge changes from ribs to a rippley edge...Quite nice really...

post-1630-0-01130100-1366988914_thumb.jpg post-1630-0-69780100-1366988930_thumb.jpg post-1630-0-13467400-1366988953_thumb.jpg

Very nice find, Steve - a bit of sodium bicarbonate will finish it off nicely. :)

Nice to see the other sea critters you can find there.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Tim..... Thanks.... I'll post a photo when its done.... it might be in a month or two....

Is everything from there so big? Ive yet to see a small fossil from that site :P

Jim... Not everything ... Just what I choose to pick up :D

Steve, yep that's another nice monster filter feeder! I saw Nick's similar monster from a couple weeks ago as well in a separate post. You both did well! Sounds like you have a couple of other nice ammonite finds in waiting. Congrats! Regards, Chris

Chris.... Thanks...I'll post ammonites as I do them....

• 2 months later...

Just an update.... I have finished the Antiquilima succincta bivalve after a light air abraid.... Its a very nice specimen and gone straight in the collection....

post-1630-0-31300600-1372962716_thumb.jpg