Is This Effect Calcification?

6ix

Cracking open some rocks and I found a jumble of shells, this is a small example - most of the fossils I've been finding are still shells, but these have been completely replaced by something... I would love to know what the process is and an approximate timeframe (these were collected form a riverbed with many possible sources).

The first couple of photos taken with an led bulb and diy macro lens.. the last two were with standard onboard flash.

IMG_1996_zpsebf03957.jpg

IMG_1997_zps9d30f2cd.jpg

IMG_1999_zps73d23fbe.jpg

IMG_2000_zpsf9248f5e.jpg

It really does resemble the calcite in the concretions I've found here. After reading about the process and speaking with several well-versed TFF members, the common method is the organism that expired gives off ammonia from bacteria during the decay process.

There's other processes, but this is a common method. I found a link of some from Florida that are gem quality calcite crystals inside gastropods.

• I found this Informative 1

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Thanks for that CH4ShotCaller - this is such a diverse hobby I'm loving it!

I have a ocean tumbled gastropod that has tiny crystals growing in it... would love to have it cut in half but am loathe to risk it as well.

Have you seen the images for the calcite crystals inside fossils from Florida? Impressive. I've found some crab with calcite crystals inside, but nowhere near gem quality.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

If its like geodes water and minerals filter thru the earth and gases and minerals get left and build up in Pockets left behind. So things with calcium usually turns into calcite.

Here's one that I down loaded, if I ever make a trip back down to Sarasota, you'll know where to find me. :)

post-7395-0-05359700-1367515711_thumb.jpg

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif