Shartooth Hill

makoken

Are these the same ones in the other post or am I seeing things?

Same ones . I'm just learning to navigate the site, now I know where to post!

How recent was your trip to STH? Are people still able to hunt STH after the sad passing of Mr Ernst?

I dig on the south side of the river. Bob's property has closed since his passing. I heard it is in probate. I was fortunate to dig with him on a bvmnh trip in 2005. much easier than digging at the ampitheater site. my last trip was 11-11-08

How recent was your trip to STH? Are people still able to hunt STH after the sad passing of Mr Ernst?

Just another note. While I am in ca. right now. I live in the briarcliff area of austin not far from roundrock. would love to go on some tx trips!

Nice teeth and welcome to the forum. My favorite teeth would have to be those coming from Bakersfield

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Nice teeth and welcome to the forum. My favorite teeth would have to be those coming from Bakersfield

[/quo

Thanks, They do have amazing, colors and variety. Is the tooth in your pic. a sth tooth or maybe chile tooth. It has some great color on it. I'm hoping to get one more trip in before I head home.

Just another note. While I am in ca. right now. I live in the briarcliff area of austin not far from roundrock. would love to go on some tx trips!

I am originally from CA myself, lived there my whole life before moving out to TX recently. I wish I had a chance to hunt STH while I was living in CA :(

I am originally from CA myself, lived there my whole life before moving out to TX recently. I wish I had a chance to hunt STH while I was living in CA :(

I likewise have recently moved to TX., in 2005. Lived for 15 yrs in Santa Clarita CA. and made a couple doz. trips to bakersfield. Work occasionally brings me back to CA. I hopefully will get one more trip sharktooth hunting before I return home.

Thanks, They do have amazing, colors and variety. Is the tooth in your pic. a sth tooth or maybe chile tooth. It has some great color on it. I'm hoping to get one more trip in before I head home.

Yes, my avatar is a Bakersfield specimen. There's just something extra cool about a shark tooth with a red tip, am I right???

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Yes, my avatar is a Bakersfield specimen. There's just something extra cool about a shark tooth with a red tip, am I right???

They kind of conjour up images of blood GREAT tooth !!!!!!!!

here is a pic. from my most recent trip

Well what do you know? I had been told that Shark Tooth Hill was closed to hunter now? If not I am glad to hear that. Might need to take a trip to visit my dad and sister in law to Calif. in the spring.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

Well what do you know? I had been told that Shark Tooth Hill was closed to hunter now? If not I am glad to hear that. Might need to take a trip to visit my dad and sister in law to Calif. in the spring.

Bob Ernst's property, 410 acres. has been closed since his passing. So th Buena Vista museum is not offering any more trips. However the ampitheater location is still open. It is closed to motorized vehicles so you have to hike in.

Makoken,

I was told a while back that ampitheater was being graded and paved over for a housing development, and that anthill was still accessible (albeit by foot only, and no motor vehicles). I had no idea that the ampitheater was still accessible.

Bobby

Makoken,

I was told a while back that ampitheater was being graded and paved over for a housing development, and that anthill was still accessible (albeit by foot only, and no motor vehicles). I had no idea that the ampitheater was still accessible.

Bobby

I used to call what I have been told is the ampitheater ant hill according to the gem trails book. As far as paving goes they did put in a bike path that's paved. the fence went back up shortly after. With the signs for NO MOTOR VEHICLES ALLOWED. Down the road a bit are some oil field properties with ant hill on the sign, but no signs of digging from the road.

post-1010-1227067464_thumb.jpg

I used to call what I have been told is the ampitheater ant hill according to the gem trails book. As far as paving goes they did put in a bike path that's paved. the fence went back up shortly after. With the signs for NO MOTOR VEHICLES ALLOWED. Down the road a bit are some oil field properties with ant hill on the sign, but no signs of digging from the road.

Thanks for all the info. I found a shark tooth a long time ago at Calvert Cliffs when I was living in Maryland, and recently I've been getting the itch to find some more. Now that I live in Southern California, I was wondering if there were any shark tooth locations here. I was thinking that maybe one of the beaches here would be a good spot, but it turns out the best location is inland in Bakersfield!

Thanks for all the info. I found a shark tooth a long time ago at Calvert Cliffs when I was living in Maryland, and recently I've been getting the itch to find some more. Now that I live in Southern California, I was wondering if there were any shark tooth locations here. I was thinking that maybe one of the beaches here would be a good spot, but it turns out the best location is inland in Bakersfield!

You could go to Lawrence Canyon at Oceanside - a tad younger than Calvert Cliffs or STH, but some of the same sharks...

Cool, thanks! I'm in Orange County, so that is closer to me than STH. I'm wondering whether it will be obvious which layer of rock I need to be digging in. Do you have any tips?

absolultely,IF you are interested Gaviota beach has some nice mineralized whale bone (which means sharks must have been present. STH is definetly the best place for teeth. I will probably be going out between thnx giving and christmas if you are interested!

You could go to Lawrence Canyon at Oceanside - a tad younger than Calvert Cliffs or STH, but some of the same sharks...

Are there GW at that location?

Makoken,

If you want to do a TX trip we are hitting Whiskey Bridge on the SW side of College Station a week from Today (next Friday). See MikeD's post on Hunting trips.

Nice thread on STH too!

Anyway, Whiskey Bridge does have teeth, but it takes a good bit of technique, luck and skill with a wire strainer to find them. Most of the teeth are small with the only exception being Makos to about 2 inches. Otherwise, there is a ton of shell material.

The locale is only about 1.5 hours away for you, maybe shorter.

Take 79 east, then 36 north, then 21 east/north. We'll be on the left right before you cross over the Brazos River!

Oh-Man

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"