ashcraft

Greetings from souteast Missouri, I have enjoyed perusing your site. Well put together and informative. Any body else from my neck of the woods? We are headig out tomorrow to collect from a Smithville location (Ordovician), should be loads of fun, with steep hills, large boulders, and crowbars.

ashcraft, brent allen

Welcome to the forum, put yourself on the members map so others near you can find you. I hope you enjoy the site, post some pictures of some of your finds, we would all love to see them.

Greetings from souteast Missouri, I have enjoyed perusing your site. Well put together and informative. Any body else from my neck of the woods? We are headig out tomorrow to collect from a Smithville location (Ordovician), should be loads of fun, with steep hills, large boulders, and crowbars.

Welcome! I'm in the St. Louis area....hunted some of the Ord in the Ozarks....esp around Van Buren.

Welcome! I'm in the St. Louis area....hunted some of the Ord in the Ozarks....esp around Van Buren.

Some of my fondest memories are of floating the Current River out of Van Buren. Never used a boat, just SCUBA gear. Mask, fins, and snorkel (with a wet-suit) are the basics for floating (more like flying than swimming!) that beautiful stream. Interesting fish, giant salamanders, but I never saw a fossil in the bottom rubble.

I seem to recall the high bluffs along the river were of massive limestone, but I really wasn't focused on fossils on those expeditions.

--------Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

That is a very beautiful area!! In the limestones you saw there are cherts that are full of interesting Ord. fauna -- snails, cephalopods and most interesting, monoplacophorans -- multi-segmented mollusks with shells...kind of a combo of snails and annelid worms.

It was a great trip Saturday- too wet for pics. Brought home a nice slab of Smithville with parts of 12 gastropods showing. We then went to the museum at Marble Hill, home of Misouri's only verified dinosaur remains. Guy Darrough has quite a few exhibits showing of life-like dinosaurs. I wouldn't drive a long way just to see it, but if you are ever in the area, it would make a nice side trip.

Monoplacophorans don't show in our Ordovician rock....I was thinking (very dangerous) that they were more found in Cambrian strata. There are pictures of some on Bruce Stincomb's website.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

I tried to go to the Ozark Paleontology Website, it took me to the Junior College where Dr. Stinchcomb taught. He is now retired, so I don't know much other then that. If you google Ozark fossils, you will get hits for several articles on monoplacophorans from the Ozark regions (some writen by Dr. Stinchcomb).

The previous post is an excellent website for Missouri fossils.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen