Cool Bird Fossil

Scylla

This is a fantastic find! I wonder whether it is placed in the superorder Apodimorphae (Sibley-Alquist)?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Cool... another great Green River Fm bird. I just gave a talk on Wyoming's Fossil Birds, now I'll have to add this guy to the talk for next time...

This line cracks me up... "The fossil was found under some rocks at the Green River Formation, in a dry lake bed 60 miles across in southwestern Wyoming, where thousands of fossils of all kinds have been found". Under some rocks?? The Green River Fm is all layers of shaley limestone, so really everything there is found under some rocks. "Not much nutrition in insects"??? I always thought insects were a great source if protein for insectivorous critters.

auspex, the article is available here

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/280/1761/20130580.full.pdf+html

I love free pdf's. Yay!!!

They put it in Mayr's Pan-Apodiformes. Not sure how that relates to Sibley and Alquist's Apodimorphae. Cladisitics makes classification rather confusing to my Linnaean way of thinking.

Thanks Scylla for bringing this to our attention.

Edited by jpc