Northsea Beach Hunting

sjaak

Hello all,

Just some pictures of my finds the last month to show that there are still nice things to be found at some of our beaches (Netherlands).

All is from hosed up sand from the Northsea bottom and Pleistocene/ early Holocene.

You can see (in random order) a rhino vertebra, canid maxilla, harpoon fragment, mammoth ivory, woolly mammoth phalanx, hyena coprolite, possible worked flint (don't know much about these things) and a seal sacrum (possibly recent).

Hope you like it.

Regards,

Niels

post-4293-0-32073000-1368261306_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-70714800-1368261308_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-75066900-1368261310_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-43092400-1368261312_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-66216500-1368261314_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-46012200-1368261316_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-37179100-1368261318_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-37418400-1368261320_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-63603000-1368261559_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-65169900-1368261561_thumb.jpg

Edited by sjaak

Niels.... I think they are fantastic, in particular the rhino vert.... The harpoon looks like wood?.... Do you come across many artifacts?...

Could the worked flint be something like a scraper for cleaning skins....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Thanks Steve. The harpoon is made of bone, sometimes also antler. These are found quite often, unfortunately not by me.

Thanks Steve. The harpoon is made of bone, sometimes also antler. These are found quite often, unfortunately not by me.

Wow bone ! .... Well now you got your eye in maybe you will find many more....I wish you luck and thanks for sharing them with us....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Could the worked flint be something like a scraper for cleaning skins....

It looks like pictures I've seen of drills.

That is really cool stuff sjaak. The harpoon is epecially intriguing!

Steve

Are there ever any identifiable inclusions in the Hyena coprolites?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Are there ever any identifiable inclusions in the Hyena coprolites?

Sometimes you can see bits and pieces of bone. Some local ones have been studied and contained a marmot bone and others showed a marine diet!

Many hyena coprolites have been found in caves. These have been studied thoroughly, but I am not really familiar with these studies.

Furthermore, you can find hyena gnawed bone fragments, such as mammoth, horse and rhino.

It looks like pictures I've seen of drills.

That is really cool stuff sjaak. The harpoon is epecially intriguing!

Thanks, I will do some searching on google.

The harpoon is nice, but much nicer and completer ones have been found. I hope to show some other harpoons this year, if I am lucky.

Sometimes you can see bits and pieces of bone. Some local ones have been studied and contained a marmot bone and others showed a marine diet!

Many hyena coprolites have been found in caves. These have been studied thoroughly, but I am not really familiar with these studies.

Furthermore, you can find hyena gnawed bone fragments, such as mammoth, horse and rhino.

Clues to the paleoecology are always very interesting!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!