Stumblings And Bumblings In The Taylor And Eagle Ford Groups - North Texas

vertman

Over the last couple of weeks I have continued my searching of the Austin Chalk. I concentrated on the uppermost Austin on its easternmost exposures in the DFW area. A few times I ventured a little too far up-section and into the lowermost part of the Taylor Group. I found a few various things including some bone and a shark tooth, which may be a Cretolamna, but it is extremely badly weathered and sun-bleached. I show here a few of the site images and a couple of the fossils.

post-5008-0-56237800-1368337446_thumb.jpg

post-5008-0-74509000-1368337481_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Saturday evening I got a little tired of the Austin Chalk and ventured down into the Eagle Ford Group. I collected a Britton Formation site for a bit. There were some decent things laying around, though not large in number. Here are some images of a pretty nice Metiococeras geslinalium ammonite, a Cenomanicarcinus crab, and a Sciponoceras gracile ammonite. A couple of these need to be put back together, but I think that won't be too hard. This site has been my favorite for 5 or 6 years. Sadly, with the economy rebounding the houses are coming up very fast. This site will not be around much longer, sad face.

post-5008-0-34385800-1368338456_thumb.jpg

post-5008-0-78214300-1368338473_thumb.jpg

post-5008-0-56153100-1368338488_thumb.jpg

I like the first ammonite- very pretty.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!