Los Tortugas Estan Bajos

tracer

it's an old saying of mine, meaning it's a bad day. when the turtles are up on logs, the sun is usually shining and things are ok. when the turtles are down, things aren't so great...

plastron id, anyone?

post-488-1227054381_thumb.jpg

Nice piece, T-man! Unfortunately, appreciation is all I can offer; way out of my league for ID.

How big is it?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

oh, i dunno, about like that...

<holding fingers out in front of monitor, showing auspex how big it is>

Wow, I cant be much help either (is that a surprise, really), but I really want to know where you find all the great stuff you seem to post. See, this is precisely why I want to go fossil hunting with you. But then, you'd have too much fun watching me fall down...

Surely someone here will be able to identify it for you.

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

nikolas - the german word for creature is pronounced kind of like "cray' ah toor", and your comment made me smile, because i've always enjoyed thinking of myself as a kreatur.

s.u.t. - i've hunted fossils quite a few places, but i daresay you've got some great areas much closer to you than i am. if you're interested in spectacular fossils in texas, you're talking to the wrong guy. from my observations, there's a couple other guys on here from texas that are way ahead of me in scarfing up dead solid coolness.

OK, that is very unique for sure, Could we see the other side and maybe the edge? Or is this a puzzle to figure out?

laziness prevents me from submitting additional photos at the moment, which i guess by default makes it a puzzle.

But then, you'd have too much fun watching me fall down...

okay, i've gotta know. whats up with the falling down business S.U.T.? i guess i'm a little behind lol

That's a very nice looking fossil. It seems to be in great condition.

Well, it is a hypoplastron of a turtle, that much we can agree on I think. It somewhat resembles that of the genus Apalone (the softshells), but I don't see any peanut-like dimpled textured surface always present in plastrons and carapaces of that genus. Also, the bony extensions don't seem to match the extensions in Apalone very well. So I think that based on the photo it is not a softshell. I don't know any other freshwater turtle that would have a hypoplastron that is not sutured to the rest of plastron, except for Chelydridae (the snapping turtles). It is possible that it came from a snapping turtle (including Macrochelys, the alligator snapping turtle), or at least I can't rule that out right now. Besides snapping turtles, we must also consider the marine turtle families Cheloniidae and Dermochelyidae. Looking at my copy of The Anatomy of Sea Turtles (Wyneken, 2001), the figures of the hypoplastrons of a loggerhead look very similar to the one you have photographed. Unfortunately, the publication does not seem to include a figure of a leatherback plastron, thus I cannot rule out the family Dermochelyidae. I can offer only a tentative determination that the hypoplastron came from either of the two extant marine turtle families, or a snapping turtle (Chelydra or Macrochelys), or perhaps from a now-extinct family. Actually, I'm assuming that it is fossilized, but perhaps it is not?

You could probably learn more about it from finding out the known turtle taxa recovered from that particular formation and epoch.

So that's my 1/50th of a dollar for you.

Taking another look at the photo you furnished, I'm leaning more towards it being a marine turtle than a snapping turtle. If I had to guess, I'd say it is a cheloniid.

Alright tracer jr, you see we were at NSR this last weekend and I was sitting on one of the banks b/c quite frankly I was hot and tired. Shen (my husband) and snakekeeper were gloating about a shark tooth snakekeeper found. I asked for some help in getting up and when Shen tried to pull me up the awkwardness of my rubber boots made my knees give out and I fell flat on my behind while saying a couple things I really should not have uttered.

Then I got laughed at.

Now, as I write this, I wonder if "uttered" is a word or if I typed it correctly as aren't utters something found on female bovine. But then again, I do always laugh at the car dealership just across the Lewisville Lake bridge: Bill Utter Ford. Just on the Utter side of Lake Lewisville.

Interesting.

Pics of which? The billboard or me falling on my you know what?

ok, bueno, i know she is muerta - i'm wondering what was the color of her hair...

If it comes from the Miocene, it will be very, very, veeery MUERTA! :faint:

Pics of which? The billboard or me falling on my you know what?

You falling on your we know what.

I crack up at the look on people's faces when their feet end up higher than their head.

Cheap rubber boots . . . $10 dollars.

A pic of screweduptexan stuck in the mud . . . priceless.

You falling on your we know what.

I crack up at the look on people's faces when their feet end up higher than their head.

Cheap rubber boots . . . $10 dollars.

A pic of screweduptexan stuck in the mud . . . priceless.

:rofl:

pristiformes - your assessment is probably accurate. thanks.

it's difficult finding enough comparative information online to id things, and those of you on here with very extensive knowledge in specific areas are a big help.

THank Goodness I was the only one with a camara handy!

LOL!

ok, bueno, i know she is muerta - i'm wondering what was the color of her hair...

I Tracer, look at my tortuga very muerta, not goog lighting for pictures, but I think that the images are comprehensives. Plastron pieces are very close to the extant Caretta turtle (viva)

post-41-1227372435_thumb.jpg

post-41-1227372459_thumb.jpg

post-41-1227372488_thumb.jpg

post-41-1227372536_thumb.jpg

post-41-1227372713_thumb.jpg