Williamsport Pa Site Question

redbrick

Here's a quick question of PA hunters. A few years ago I checked out a copy of "Gem Trails of Pennsylvania and New Jersey" from my local library. One of the sites listed was a construction site borrow pit in Williamsport PA, where sandstone ammonites and picture sandstone could be found. Does anyone know if the site is still there, and if so, do you have directions to get there? My boys and I will be passing through that area on a 'guys week' in June, and we'd like to stop and check it out. What are your thoughts?

Andy (redbrick)

"All living things do one of two things. They either grow, or they die. When they stop growing, they immediately start dying. The mind is also a living thing."

Redbrick, why travel all that distance? Isn't Swatara Gap still collectable - under the overpass bridge?

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Just did some looking around online. I guess they closed access 1n 1990 tot he exposures right under the I-80 overpass. I used to collect there in the 60s and 70s. I got a few really nice starfish.

Rich, unfortunately, I only ever managed to collect at Swatara once, but I did find a nice cryptolithus (although I didn't realize it until much later). I'm very grateful for that! As to why we want to travel so far, well, we're headed that way anyway. We're headed for a little cabin in the woods about an hour or so beyond there, and I thought it'd make for a nice travel break.

Andy (redbrick)

"All living things do one of two things. They either grow, or they die. When they stop growing, they immediately start dying. The mind is also a living thing."

I wonder if it is listed in that old Pennsylvania Geological Survey pub something like "Fossil Collecting in Pennsylvania". I had a copy decades ago....

It might be, but maybe not. If I recall correctly, it's a construction borrow pit. It doesn't sound like it's a very popular spot, either. No one else has anything to say about it, so I guess we'll just wing it. Thanks anyway!

Andy (redbrick)

Hi redbrick, sorry for the late response, I haven't been on in ages...this site has been off limits for many, many years. I wish they would remove these decades old sites from publications and books that still list them as viable places to collect. On top of it not being accessable, the neighborhood it's located in has hit rock bottom with the hundreds of transplants from the Philly area drug-halfway houses they ship up here and dump off..the thugs, gangs, drug activity is horrible..shootings are a daily occurance anymore.

Sue, that's sad to hear. My family is from Williamsport - but left around 1950 or so.

Thanks for the heads-up, Sue! You just saved us from a very bad experience, I believe. We're headed for the Waterville area, not too terribly far from Wellesboro and the Pine Creek Gorge (PA Grand Canyon). Any suggestions of possible sites as a consolation prize? Thanks!

Andy (redbrick)

All along 44N and 414N is massive shale and sandstone outcroppings from the long ago days when they made the roads but very little places to pull off at and zero room to safely collect between the roadcuts and roadway. I spent 20+ years camping and exploring there between Waterville and Wellsboro and over to Coudersport. You'll find sporatic fossils in the region. If you go to Little PIne State Park when they are hosting a kids geology program, they show the kids a display of fossils found within the park system. The further north you go towards NY the better the fossils.

I always hunted in the small creeks up in the mountains near a little village called Galeton, west of Wellsboro off of Rt 6. This region and heading north to the border is full of fossils and hash plates...some creeks better than others. Southern NY streams and roadcuts on the smaller roadways are much more plentiful for fossils.

Thank you, Sue. We'll check them out if we get the chance.

Andy (redbrick)

How long will you be in Waterville?? You going to be camping at the State Park or local campgrounds?? How much time or distance will you have to devote to collecting so I can figure out places to send you to.

Edited by sue in ohio

We're staying in a little privately owned cabin about five minutes or so north of Watertown. We'll be there for four days, and will be heading east one day to visit Rickett's Glen Park. I was also thinking about the PPL fossil site that I THOUGHT was in Montoursville, but I'm not sure if that's accurate. There is a news clipping about the site laying around here somewhere, but I have no idea where! Isn't that just the way of things?

Thank you for all of your help, Sue!

Andy (redbrick)

The PPL fossil pit is located outside of Turbotville in the PPL Preserve. You would have to take Rt 220N/180 down past Williamsport and Montoursville, getting off and taking Rt 54 towards Danville, you'd come off of 220/180 and turn left onto 54. About roughly 10+ miles, after passing through Turbotville, several miles down the road you'll pass the signs for the PPL Perserve. You'll take St Rt 1006/Preserve Rd back a mile or so and you'll see the sign on your right for the fossil pit which will be a road branching off on the left...the parking lot for the pit will be a short distance to your right and it's a very short hike into the pit..it's very,very close to Lake Chillisquaque.

Rickett's Glen is a very pretty place to see...enjoy all the little waterfalls. My favorite place is the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon just north of you near Wellsboro between Leonard Harrison St. Pk and Colton Point St. Pk and Bushkill Falls but that's clear over on the PA/ NJ border. Worlds End St Park is a very pretty place too that's not far from where you'll be.

Thank you, Sue. Yes, Ricketts Glen is beautiful, although I've only ever seen it in the dead of winter. When I was in high school, eons ago it seems, I was in an extramural hiking club that took an 'ice hike' to Rickett's every February. My wife and I visited Bushkill on our honeymoon, as well. We kept looking for Ewoks? It absolutely reminded us of the Forest Moon of Endor from Return of the Jedi! We loved it! We (the whole family) visited the PGC last year, so maybe we'll check out World's End.

Would you recommend the PPL reserve? Or would we be better served hunting elsewhere?

Andy (redbrick)

• 1 month later...

Would you recommend the PPL reserve? Or would we be better served hunting elsewhere?

I realize this is probably too late to be of any help this year, but for future reference, i would recommend against the PPL fossil pit. I live only a few miles from there and can tell you that generations of school field trips have decimated the area for any significant finds. Who knows, you may get lucky, but i wouldn't suggest making a lengthy detour specifically for a visit there... However, if you are in the area and want a better spot to search, there is a nice roadcut on River Drive (State Road 2006) between Danville and Catawissa. Finding a safe place to park on the side of the road here is definitely tricky, but it CAN be done. The roadcut is on the north side of the road and faces the river. A Great place for brachiopods. The area had become a little overgrown with small trees and such, but you won't have to scratch the surface too deep to hit paydirt... good luck and happy hunting

Sorry for the late reply...I went into the hospital on June 18th and just got out a few days ago...it's hit and miss there, I never found anything great so it didn't hold my interest very long but it's great for kids to hone their skills rockhounding. Specimens can be found there but I never came across anything worth keeping.

• 1 month later...

The Ricketts Glen area also has lots of old Coal mining operations, both hard rock and strip. The strip mines have mostly been donated to the State, who then donated a lot of them to future State Game Land use after reclaiming the land. The fossils in these areas have a lot of Pyrite in them that make them quite showy. Always ask permission to collect, I have never been turned down by the strip mine people. The hard rock sites are different and can be dangerous as well with some still open holes on them. I hunted this area for over 30 years and always stopped in to see what was happening with the many mines in the area. I haven't been up there in 5 years. You can't beat a trip through the falls area of Ricketts Glen for sight seeing of nature. It's a long walk but worth it to take the entire loop through the Falls area. Don't go down into the Falls area in cold wet weather though, the paths ice up and are very dangerous. There are still a few hidden glens in the area that have virgin Hemlock in them and are gorgeous.

Joe D.