Antarctic Fossilized Wood

RomanK

As promissed I'm posting this specimen from my collection. Friend of mine gifted me this peice of fossilized wood he brought from Antarctic stone oasis. I have no idea about species of that plant. May be somebody from forum members does?

1. Front side

2. Back side

post-814-1227123099_thumb.jpgpost-814-1227123166_thumb.jpg

As promissed I'm posting this specimen from my collection. Friend of mine gifted me this peice of fossilized wood he brought from Antarctic stone oasis. I have no idea about species of that plant. May be somebody from forum members does?

1. Front side

2. Back side

post-814-1227123099_thumb.jpgpost-814-1227123166_thumb.jpg

I have no idea about species of that plant but this wood has a nice patina ,rolled in water or in ice .....,no idea about geologic period ?

Bruno

If I remember correctly, the Jetty Oasis site is Late Permian-Early Triassic, and much of the wood is thought to be Glossopteris (this is the tree that helped prove continental drift). Your piece is lovely, and has an exotic charisma. Congratulations :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

If I remember correctly, the Jetty Oasis site is Late Permian-Early Triassic, and much of the wood is thought to be Glossopteris (this is the tree that helped prove continental drift). Your piece is lovely, and has an exotic charisma. Congratulations :)

haaa yes ,the glossopteris flora from the Gondwana continent ,I have saw on google nice leaves of glossopteris from Australia .....,this wood and this leaves do not existed in france ...,two separated

flora on a boreal and an austral continent .....,the famous continental drift !!!

Did you by chance lend that specimen to tracer? I think he wrote something in one of his strange languages, in the second photo near the bottom of the specimen!?!

ok, now SEE! this is why i read each and every post, staying up until the wee hours, so i can catch these random tracer attacks. here i am, reading about glossepteri drifting oases, and out of the blue, whamza! a slam on yours truly's linguisticalideosyncrises. of course, you did save me from trying to think of something intelligent to comment about this thread, because although i truly love fossil wood, i don't know anything about antarctica's oases trees and would have had to resort to saying something inane like "nice cold chunk" or something.

i've never been any closer to a pole than reykjavik, and i'm still not exactly positive what i was doing there.

so thanks, b.d., and laissez le bon temps roulette!

Nice piece of wood, looks very similar to the silicified specimens i found in some local Permian sandstone (NSW Australia). I would say your piece is from similar strata and age... Its not very easy to determine a genus let alone a species on wood fragments alone, but it is (as others have said) most probably glossopteris, i have found some really nice leaves in a shale layer at a relatively local outcrop, although the wood i found associated with the leaves (due to the preservation in shale) was not very nice. I did manage to pull out a good 30cm wide squished trunk out which was pretty darn nice!

Here are some pictures of the silicified bits of wood i have found similar to yours and some of the leaves found at a different site. All late Permian...

post-142-1227163913_thumb.jpg

post-142-1227163957_thumb.jpg

post-142-1227163986_thumb.jpg

post-142-1227164039_thumb.jpg

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

I would say continental drift provided some kind of link between Antarctic and Donbass if we'd see on the map I attached. Many years ago Donetsk was so close to Antarctic!

post-814-1227167983_thumb.jpg

Nice piece of wood, looks very similar to the silicified specimens i found in some local Permian sandstone (NSW Australia). I would say your piece is from similar strata and age... Its not very easy to determine a genus let alone a species on wood fragments alone, but it is (as others have said) most probably glossopteris, i have found some really nice leaves in a shale layer at a relatively local outcrop, although the wood i found associated with the leaves (due to the preservation in shale) was not very nice. I did manage to pull out a good 30cm wide squished trunk out which was pretty darn nice!

Here are some pictures of the silicified bits of wood i have found similar to yours and some of the leaves found at a different site. All late Permian...

Thank you, I agree it's very similar to my specimen and to all appearances I have a piece of fissilized glossopteris wood. Nice!

haaa yes ,the glossopteris flora from the Gondwana continent ,I have saw on google nice leaves of glossopteris from Australia .....,this wood and this leaves do not existed in france ...,two separated

flora on a boreal and an austral continent .....,the famous continental drift !!!

Quite interesting to follow for all stages of France "creation" starting from Palaeozoic time in Golonka's maps - http://www.dinodata.org/index.php?option=c...&Itemid=118

ok, now SEE! this is why i read each and every post, staying up until the wee hours, so i can catch these random tracer attacks. here i am, reading about glossepteri drifting oases, and out of the blue, whamza! a slam on yours truly's linguisticalideosyncrises. of course, you did save me from trying to think of something intelligent to comment about this thread, because although i truly love fossil wood, i don't know anything about antarctica's oases trees and would have had to resort to saying something inane like "nice cold chunk" or something.

i've never been any closer to a pole than reykjavik, and i'm still not exactly positive what i was doing there.

so thanks, b.d., and laissez le bon temps roulette!

Thanks, tracer, I like your comments (no irony at all). In spite of I've been in Antarctic in 1980 I know nothing about Permian flora and only heard about Glossopteris. Anyway I really enjoy from communication with all of members.

Those are so cool, kauffy! Glossopteris is one of those transformational fossils with a story that is larger than itself.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

So how did Glossopteris play a role in continental drift? The only thing I could think of is the roots breaking down rock but could they really divide a continent? I guess with a little extra geological forces (volcanoes, floods, plate movement, earthquakes) they could. But what do I know :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

So how did Glossopteris play a role in continental drift? The only thing I could think of is the roots breaking down rock but could they really divide a continent? I guess with a little extra geological forces (volcanoes, floods, plate movement, earthquakes) they could. But what do I know :D

It is the discontiguous distribution of Glossopteris fossils that lent credence to the idea that the continents were arranged differently in the Permian.

Here is a link to a very elementary site:

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/...Contdrift.shtml

A little Googling will get you lots more, if you wish. :)