Collecting With Forum Member Shamalama

mikeymig

Here are some of my finds from Sunday while collecting with Fossil Forum member Shamalama. My daughter Rebecca found the Blastoid (her first) and these are rare here in NY. It was a hot day but the stream was cool and the only issue were the deer flies. I was showing Dave where to find trilobites near the stream while we were waiting for my daughter and girlfriend to catch up to us when I found the Greenops. It doesnt look like much now but it will when I prep it. The trilobite has both eyes, genal spines, and I suspect the tail.

I hope you had fun Dave!

Mikey

post-7129-0-75406100-1369156201_thumb.jpg

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Great finds, Mikey! :wub:

Can't wait to see these prepped.

The variety of your site never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

looks like some neat finds! Whats growing on the Platyceras?

It has some small epibionts but I think your talking about the spines. Some of these snails have spines but rarely are they preserved.

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Your gain is my loss Mikey. If "someone" hadn't forgot his passport, he would have been up in my neck of the woods. Dave is a great guy to collect with, especially in Devonian sediments

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Nice blastoid! And the spine on the snail is interesting... I wonder what that thing would have looked like in life.

Mikey! It was great hanging out with you and your Family this weekend. The amazing this people don't know is that both Mikey's Daughter (who never once complained or played with her cell phone) and Girlfriend hung out the whole day while we whacked rocks. Put a ring on your Girlfriends finger Mikey, it don't get too much better than that!

I had a great time learning from Mikey the proper techniques to collecting in the creek beds of NY and a little bit about the geology too. I wish I'd gotten a pic of that cliff you took me to, it was impressively huge!

Now, down to the brass tacks of what you have in your pic there. The pelecypods that the corals grew on are not likely Paracyclas (the beak is too off center) but rather could be a Leiopteria. I base that on the size of the shell and the shape. Also, I've found similar associations in my Mahantango. Somewhere I have a piece with the cast of the shell and a Pleurodictyum that grew on it's surface.

I'll get pics of my finds up this weekend.

Edited by Shamalama

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Man-o-man you remind me how much I loved collecting in New York State. Those are some really great fossils.

Great finds for you and your daughter! Your picture quality is always top notch and I enjoy your posts. A blastoid for Rebecca, how cool! :)

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Yes some of us were waiting on the Canadian side of the border to meet up with Dave.....

How could someone possibly forget their passport..........

Nice finds... love the blastoid and the greenops will cleanup for sure.

Dave..if memory serves me right, you done that once before, lol..a friend of yours overnighted it to you...you're just going to have to keep it in your luggage from now on, lol. Awesome finds Mike and that blastoid of your daughters is just beautiful!! I miss collecting in NY :(