Whiskey Bridge/waco Pit

mikecable

Gary and I will be joining DPS on their trip to Whiskey Bridge on June 8th. Since this is a 4.5 hour drive for us we decided to get a room in Waco and include the Waco Pit on our itinerary. I've got our permit in hand. Now I have two questions. Is the Waco spillway a separate site to hunt? And does anyone know about a crossing over the Little Brazos near Whiskey Bridge--supposedly very good for micro matrix?

Mike,

When will you be hitting the Waco Pit? PSA was there last weekend and we had a great time. That sticky mud is a hoot! I would consider meeting you folks there for more. We were not a huge group and only there thru noon so we certainly left plenty behind. You can walk across/around the pit to the spillway gorge or you can drive there via Airport Road. I know folks who have walked it but say it is much easier to drive. We did all our collecting close to the entry point at the pit because it was so muddy. I would continue a bit further to look for fresh spots. But then it rained hard after us so our foot prints may be gone and new fossils exposed.

The Little Brazos crossing is about 2 miles east of Whiskey Bridge on 21. It is a low concrete bridge so you have to watch for the sign. There is an access road on the NE side. I have never been there but folks tell me you should plan on getting wet and wading up river a bit to look for fossils. The Poison Ivy is supposed to be even worse than at WB. I don't know anything about collecting micros there, but the mollusk assemblage is supposed to be just different enough from the WB site to make it worthwhile.

• I found this Informative 1

Mike this may or may not help. I think the pit and the spillway are the same place. I cant say this enough, the Pit is a bowl in the ground. It can get really really hot. Did I mention that it gets really really hot in the pit. So take a lot of water, hat and sun screen. I found the knee pads handy at this site. Also if you search the posts the Houston Mike has a map with some of the more productive areas to try. One more bit of free advice, this is a large area so give yourself some time.

I don't have anything on the Little Brazos, there is this post. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/30174-whiskey-bridges-little-brother/ He might be some help. I do know you cross over the Little Brazos but I am unsure if this is the spot or where to park. Also once again, it is a hike to get down to the river, so take a lot of water.

Good luck !!!

i've done waco pit, whiskey bridge, and bryan area pet wood round trip in one day before... way back in times of youthful exuberance.

little brazos... look for scarce but present crabs in hard nodules (forget if the are harpactocarcinus or zanthopsis)

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."