It's Fish Am Lost From There

Foshunter

This is once again a NSR find, hope someone with fish knowledge can come to the rescue and help with an ID------Tom

post-3940-0-02236700-1369955606_thumb.jpgpost-3940-0-52619000-1369955607_thumb.jpgpost-3940-0-68476700-1369955608_thumb.jpg

Added info on this snake, if someone would be so kind, N.E. Florida resident, hope it wasn't poison

post-3940-0-76830500-1369955769_thumb.jpg

Know what this is, thought I would share. This is a lizard that has no legs and will scare the _________out of you when they take off in dry leaves

post-3940-0-99345300-1369955919_thumb.jpgpost-3940-0-05159600-1369955924_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Can't help with the fish, Tom; but the corn snake and glass lizard are awesome.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Nice big fossil find. The sulphur is going to be a tough loss when they impound it. I really don't know on the id for it or reptile 2 either.

Here's my snakes... I took this pic in my yard last year. Saw at least 20 after this one and freak out every time. My child will pick anything up. The largest climbed up to my back deck and was not happy to be cornered. Caught in a bucket and relocated it believe it or not. Hoping the rest have moved on since then but only because of my daughter... They dont bother me much. lol :)

post-8801-0-49952400-1369960384_thumb.jpgpost-8801-0-65909400-1369960399_thumb.jpg

Edited by lissa318

I don't like snakes at all but I have mellowed with age. This guy was let go to do his business, if it had been poisonous, there would have been a diffrernt ending. I have two small dogs that would have investigated and I'm sure bitten, so glad it is a good snake. The glass lizards are really different to say the least, hadn't encountered them in my part of Texas.----Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

Even if non venomous you do have to worry about bacterial infections so you know. I have a small dog (and a larger one) plus my daughter I worry about. I'd still let the vet know if one of them gets bit just to be safe.

Here's my snakes... I took this pic in my yard last year. Saw at least 20 after this one and freak out every time. My child will pick anything up. The largest climbed up to my back deck and was not happy to be cornered. Caught in a bucket and relocated it believe it or not. Hoping the rest have moved on since then but only because of my daughter... They dont bother me much. lol :)

attachicon.gif_facebook_-661989289_.jpgattachicon.gif95facebook95207493026995.jpg

I hate snakes :(

The fossil ID is a pectoral fin fragment from a Xiphactinus. Love the other critters!

Lets see I've walked up on 6 snakes fossil hunting this spring so far and I've had 6 ticks crawling on me so far. My daughter had Lymes when she was a teen and you never entirely recover from it. I cover myself in deep woods off when I'm walking in brush and under trees. Ticks tend to keep moving so I feel them and get them off! I don't need to have a blood sucking tick hook on me like my bud trentonmon did Monday. He had a lot of spray on too, but it was warm and he must have sweat enough to make the stuff he used taste good to one of those critters. It latched on at the collar line in back. Yet another part of our NSR adventure.

Oh we had a cottonmouth on the NSR too. Trentonmon said heres a snake and I headed over to see what and where it was. It swam away and hid before I got to see it. It was at the mouth of a trib in water. It went up under some roots and dead wood along the bank.

Hmmm.... over the last Australian summer I saw Tiger, Eastern Brown, Red-bellied Black and Copperhead snakes. All members of the Elapidae family and being southern Australia, all deadly venomous. The Tigers are the ones you really don't want biting you.

When it's really high snake time (Nov - Mar) I tend to turn rocks over with a long stick from a safe distance in case anything wriggles out.

Just par for the course down here. No problem if you are reasonably careful.

attachicon.gif_facebook_-661989289_.jpgattachicon.gif95facebook95207493026995.jpg

that looks like a fox snake, try googling that name for ID, think they're only found in NW PA though, could also be a young black rat snake, can't tell size

The fossil ID is a pectoral fin fragment from a Xiphactinus. Love the other critters!

Thanks X-Man, didn't know where to start but knew it was a large fish------Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

Thanks X-Man, didn't know where to start but knew it was a large fish------Tom

Tom - looks like the front ray of the fin. The groove in the back is where the next ray would fit into it. Here's a drawing of a pectoral fin from Oceans of Kansas....

post-98-0-98681800-1370005585_thumb.jpg