missingdigits

My dad found this in the Blue Hill Shale in Kansas last weekend. Looks kind of like a fish tail but we have never found any in the Blue Hill Shale. What struck me as odd is the suture like features at the end of it. Maybe just cracks? Hopefully the pictures show this. Any help is appreciated in advance!

post-7675-0-92302800-1370022514_thumb.jpg

post-7675-0-08358200-1370022557_thumb.jpg

certainly looks like a fish tail. I see the weird sutures up there near the top right end of it. Not sure what to make of those.

Thanks guys. Am I wrong finding the suture like features odd? I really don't know.

I cant find any information that shows sutures in fish tails. Only skulls. It makes me wonder if this is not a plethodid nose bone. It doesnt seem right for plethodid, but the sutures really bother me for a tail ID.

I'm not seeing any "sutures"....it's a fish tail that is somewhat weathered. Nice!

The sutures are the zig-zag lines towards the ends of the "tail".

The sutures are normal for fish fins as these are the joins that give the fin flex. I find the individual sections all the time and it had me stumped when I first found them as to what they were.

Mike