Pangaea

painshill

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Thanks for this, Painshill. :)

Very interesting, indeed.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It's a little bit misleading to those who don't know that parts of the west coast either didn't exist yet or were still adrift out in the ocean or alongside the North America and yet to be welded onto the continent... and I don't think Iceland existed yet but they've got it wedged in there!

But a fun map nonetheless.

The modern coasts and borders are only there to orient the viewer and provide relevance; for that purpose, I rather like the treatment.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes... I'm sure the originator (someone called Massimo Pietrobon) didn't intend it to be taken too literally, but it does help people get their minds round the principles of continental drift.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

I like it. Thanks painshill! For those that are new, it certainly helps put things in perspective. :)

The modern coasts and borders are only there to orient the viewer and provide relevance; for that purpose, I rather like the treatment.

Perhaps, but if the point was to show where you were on the map 300mya then it's a little misleading - here on the Island we would not have been in that spot! My theory based on so many other things I've seen online is it would take too much work altering the map to show all those details so people don't bother. Tibet for one is shown in its proper place, nowhere near China, so China's current borders are not shown for viewer orientation - and look at Pakistan!