Dire Wolf

Jdeutsch

I was reading on wolves, and was surprised to find that the Dire wolf was one of the most common species found in the La Brea tar pits. It seems to me that predators should be 1% of prey.

How common are Dire wolf finds in North America (relative to Mammoths or ungulates, for instance) and are there localities where they turn up more often outside of Los Angeles? (e.g. Florida, Nebraska etc?)

The tar pits were a predator trap; something would get stuck, and predators would come to scavenge (it took a long while for big things to sink out of site) and get stuck too.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Dire wolf finds (generally isolated teeth or jaw sections of Late Pleistocene age) are very uncommon - more in line with that 1% figure.

Back in the 90's there was a site in the Palos Verdes, California area where a collector found numerous Bison teeth but only a few dire wolf teeth. There is a documented find of several individuals in a sinkhole in southern Dade County, Florida (Cutler Hammock site) noted in the book, "The Fossil Vertebrates of Florida."..

I was reading on wolves, and was surprised to find that the Dire wolf was one of the most common species found in the La Brea tar pits. It seems to me that predators should be 1% of prey.

How common are Dire wolf finds in North America (relative to Mammoths or ungulates, for instance) and are there localities where they turn up more often outside of Los Angeles? (e.g. Florida, Nebraska etc?)

• I found this Informative 2

This is an interesting post its possible I may find Dire wolf bone on my next field trip to Pode-hole , Spalding, Lincolnshire, UK...how can that be.

Darren.

Edited by D&E

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers