What Is It In Interlayer Space?

RomanK

Perhaps they are remnants of wood that partially decomposed before it was mineralized?

Or maybe it is crystaline growth within a cavity left in the sediment by completely decomposed material?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Perhaps they are remnants of wood that partially decomposed before it was mineralized?

Or maybe it is crystaline growth within a cavity left in the sediment by completely decomposed material?

Of those two, I'd say the decomposed wood, just because it looks much more like it and has no visible crystalline growth. Of course, I'm not saying either of us are right, of course.

Turok1copy.png

Of those two, I'd say the decomposed wood, just because it looks much more like it and has no visible crystalline growth. Of course, I'm not saying either of us are right, of course.

Thanks for your comment 'Fossilkid', I just try to understand whether it is 'inner' structure of the lycopods wood or kind of geological trick.

I would say wood remnants.

Thanks 'mommabetts', as I replied to you before it's very interesting thing, because I've never seen the wood structure 'inside', only prints or fossilized wood - kind of 'outside' view. The lycopods wood consists of more lignin (xylogen) then cellulose one, that's why the oxygenation of the plants (arborescent) material was so difficult and slow in Carboniferuos time and that's why the concentration of oxygen was so high (32-35%).

Sometimes in fossils I found I noted a strange structure like on the attached pic. Are there any ideas what it is? -_-

This, as others have noted, is where the wood partially decomposed before mineralization. I have several pieces like this and some more decomposed. Many times we find it where the pockets are filled solid with chalcedony, or coated with druzy quartz, and possibly with some other minerals inside. Our nickname for it is "pocket rot". We also sometimes find wood that has been bored by teredo worms (ship worms) and sometimes a combination of bores and rot.