Need Chesapeake Bay Fossil Id...

abaloney

This fossil is from a family collection. Someone had written out a card for it that had the identification info, but it appears that silverfish got to it...

Can anyone fill in the blanks where the words were eaten off the card... :-)

It looks to me like it reads:

Fossil _______ds
Miocene
Sc_____ts Point
Chesapeak Bay
Maryland

The silverfish chewed off just the most important words!

post-12050-0-88215700-1370286362_thumb.jpg

post-12050-0-77217600-1370286390_thumb.jpg

post-12050-0-19527100-1370286531_thumb.jpg

There is a Scientists Cliffs on the bay

Specifically, "Scientist's Point".

I do not recognize this object as any fossil I ever saw there, and I collected the area for 25 years. Are you sure the card goes with this specimen?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for ID-ing Scientist's Point and Cliffs - interesting stuff about it on the web!

Googling 'fossil coal slag' is not giving me anything similar so far...

Was thinking it was describing a crinoid chunk that was packaged with it, but the description on the card doesn't look like it starts out with a 'C'.

Hmmm...

post-12050-0-00259700-1370292611_thumb.jpg

post-12050-0-86283000-1370292623_thumb.jpg

The coal slag is not a fossil but a recent form of industrial waste.

Your Crinoid slab looks exactly like some I have seen from the Mississippian of Kentucky at lake Cumberland.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

So - who knows what the card was referring to... :-)

How 'bout "Fossil Pelecypods"?

Any clams in the collection?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Thanks Auspex! Maybe it's this specimen - about 1/3 of a larger fossil filled rock... ?

The silverfish ate the paper, so couldn't get a rubbing. This big specimen was packed separately, but maybe fossil clams...?

post-12050-0-10816600-1370440462_thumb.jpg

post-12050-0-54978000-1370440474_thumb.jpg

Thanks Auspex! Maybe it's this specimen - about 1/3 of a larger fossil filled rock... ?

The silverfish ate the paper, so couldn't get a rubbing. This big specimen was packed separately, but maybe fossil clams...?

These are Paleozoic Brachiopods, much older than the Calvert Fm.

You'd be looking for something that resembles a Cherystone clam, probably free of matrix.

Thanks for ID-ing the Brachiopods - will look those up!

Is this the clam...? There is only one in the box...

post-12050-0-77422700-1370448201_thumb.jpg

post-12050-0-40488500-1370448208_thumb.jpg

Auspex - I looked up Calvert Formation - and wondering if this Brachiopod chunk may be the fossil that the card (mistakenly) was referring to, since the Calvert Cliffs are on Chesapeake Bay?

If these are older than Calvert - any idea where these Brachiopods came from or how old?

Thanks for ID-ing the Brachiopods - will look those up!

Is this the clam...? There is only one in the box...

It is, I think, an oyster, but that is still a pelecypod. I don't recognize it from the Calvert Fm., but it could be, I suppose. Looks a bit more like a Mesozoic Lopha...

Auspex - I looked up Calvert Formation - and wondering if this Brachiopod chunk may be the fossil that the card (mistakenly) was referring to, since the Calvert Cliffs are on Chesapeake Bay?

If these are older than Calvert - any idea where these Brachiopods came from or how old?

These are over 300 million years old, more than 12 times older than the Calvert Fm. at Scientist's Cliffs.

The note likely says

Fossil Records

Scientists point....

Nice Crinoid plate!

Cheers

Ed