Teeth Pilbara Western Australia

ballina 72

• New Members

Hi can some one tell me what these are from.I found them doing excavation works in Port Hedland.?????

post-12093-0-34756200-1370339781_thumb.jpg

post-12093-0-39821500-1370339887_thumb.jpg

post-12093-0-42644800-1370339982_thumb.jpg

The Pilbara region of Australia is, for the most part, Precambrian in age. Hence finding vertebrate fossils from the last 500 million years in that area is not too likely.

As for what these are, I am not exactly sure, but I don't think they are teeth.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

The Pilbara is a mixture of rust and silicates, far older than the phanerozoic. That's just weathered silicate, not fossil.

They are the hinges of oysters. If there are not Cenozoic deposits in the region, they could have been deposited by storms if you are close to the ocean or from shell middens.

Mike

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Fragments of oyster shell, at the hinge area.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Fragments of oyster shell, at the hinge area.

Maybe a midden?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yeah, I take it back. I should have looked closer. They look like oysters, which could mean that it's a midden and you shouldn't collect them.

• I found this Informative 1

• New Members

thanks for your advice everyone now I can see what they are. I had no idea I thought they were shark or ray teeth when I pick them up. they are going back were they come from.