Looking For A Fossil Sponge Expert In Oregon Or Nw

Thomas Black

i am looking to talk to a fossil sponge expert in the nw or oregon. i would prefer this person had hands-on knowledge, not just book and picture training. are there any sponge experts on this forum, or does anyone know of someone.

thank you all so much. thomas

I don't know if there are any NW sponge experts or anyone specializing in sponges at all since Dr Rigby of BYU retired, aside from member Evgeny Kotelevsky who knows his Russian sponges and might be of help for other areas as well - do you have specimens to be ID'd and what age are they?

Oh! R.I.P. Thanks Scott.

I wonder who will be his successor as the Sponge Expert.. I guess you would have mentioned a name if you had one...?

I don't know if there are any NW sponge experts or anyone specializing in sponges at all since Dr Rigby of BYU retired, aside from member Evgeny Kotelevsky who knows his Russian sponges and might be of help for other areas as well - do you have specimens to be ID'd and what age are they?

I want to thank everyone for their replies. this dr. rigby must have been quite the man. too bad he is gone. I looked at the Russian gentleman's photos of fossils for a long time and they are beautiful. I was hoping for someone closer but I will contact him.

in answer to mr. wrangellian's questions I am not so much looking for identification of specimens because sponges seem to be fairly easy to id if you know it's a sponge. i just had to learn where to look for the information. i am looking for a true expert to discuss location and potential new species. as for age your guess is as good as mine. I don't have a clue except the area where they are being found was a shallow Jurassic period sea. some of the sponges seem to be from an earlier era though. since they are all surface finds and this area had major faulting it is very hard to say.

thanks so very much for the replies. thomas

Hi Thomas,

What part of the state are you in? From your other post, I thought maybe sw Oregon. There are some good local resourses in the western part of the state, maybe you'll have some luck with them. Even a local rock & gem club might know someone who can first hand see your finds. You might try to repost, just the items in question, in the id section. I'm sure there are some experts on here.

Good luck

Bob