Dimetrodons And Secos!

dinodigger

Hey Gang,

June is upon us; the Houston Museum of Natural Science crew is back at it in our dig site in North Texas. Our middle Permian Queen has been very good to us this year. The only way we can repay our graciously accepted dues and debts is by resurrecting the amazing finbacks and mudpuppies of 287 million years ago. In February I found three new beautiful Dimetrodon skeletons and a ton of interesting stuff. I arrived on site 8 days ago, and have been digging away in 103 degree temps. I've been meaning to get the report going, but being on site at 6 am and digging til 8 pm has us rather sluggish. The coyotes sing there greetings every morning and bid there good evening as we slither away with the snakes and the horny toads. So here it goes.

The objective for this trip, which mind you is never achieved promptly on any of our digs, is to remove the 1000 pound jacket that contains the remains of Banana and Uma, the two magnificent Dimetrodon Loomisi specimens. Mixed in with the skeletons is a crapload (geologic term) of bones and teeth from other animals that were either ingested or simply slipped quietly down the embankment of the ancient pond. Upon removing the fifty by thirty foot tarp, we discovered a family of rodents of adorawable mice living under the jacket in the holes we carved out for supports. We began digging around the base of the jacket to continue prepping for removal and, as usual, I found bone underneath. So far we have an IMMENSE scapula with the anterior and posterior coracoid gnawed clean off. That triceps muscle is a favorite amongst the carnivores here.

The south side of the dig has produced a handfull of shed DImetrodon and Secodontosaurus teeth. Our quarry is easily the greatest place for Secos... weird.

The estivating amphibians in the South East corner number 8 now. Unbelievable. Many have the pre-max missing. I think Dimetrodons are digging, and they do have great digging claws, down to the sleeping amphibians. As they try to pull them from their burrows, some get their noses bitten off. Eeek.

The West side of the quarry is producing an INTERESTING chop zone, an area where somebody had been eating. Many many shed teeth and lots of chewed bones of every osteological element. And big bones too. Clavicals, Scaps, skulls. I'm hungry. I'm going to go eat some leftover chili now. I'm also really really really tired. Really tired. Really really really really really really tired. So I'm cutting the update off here. I'll post more tomorro.

Enjoy the pics.

Chris

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45026327@N05/sets/72157633977874127/

Magnificent write up!

Sure many are jealous of your work. Sounds like a great site.

What are the amphibians?

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I look forward to this continuing story every year. Great stuff, Chris.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I didn't need to see the centipede (glad I don't down there).. but the rest is :thumbsu:

Thanks so much for this continuing account! What snake is pictured? I did not recognize his markings.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Nice to hear from you again, Chris. :)

Exciting finds!

Thank you, once again, for posting your work with us here.

I truly enjoy seeing the way the professional side of paleontology is done.

I appreciate your time and effort to bring us this ongoing saga.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Just...awesome!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 2 weeks later...