Lost And Found In Fl...

lordpiney

Hey everyone...

My father lost his very short fight with Cancer on May 20th, 2012. I managed to spend his last two weeks alive, with him at his house in Avon Park, FL. A day after his passing, we (my step mom, and brother) decided to hit the Peace River, to celebrate one of the things he loved to do most...Chill out on his favorite stretch of the river. I only had a few hours to kill before my flight home, so we went to Bowling Green.(one of his favorite spots to relax).

DSCF0031_zpsf4d2fdc6.jpg

DSCF0030_zpscb6d2d25.jpg

Not much fossil-wise, but I did catch a pic of the biggest Plecostomus catfish Ive ever seen.

DSCF0014_zps5004b5f8.jpg

DSCF0021_zps8037dbe3.jpg

DSCF0020_zps9301e6f1.jpg

On the way back to my dads house, we took a wrong turn onto an unpaved rd. as we drove down it, i noticed a bunch of shells on the shoulder, and got out to find a bunch of the nicest shells that i have ever found on land!

DSCF0235_zpscb213625.jpg

DSCF0203-001_zps9beabb93.jpg

DSCF0208-001_zps8026ac0e.jpg

DSCF0210-002_zpsd4bd1edc.jpg

DSCF0212_zps9b32e978.jpg

DSCF0217_zps7d7f28db.jpg

DSCF0219_zps02632155.jpg

DSCF0225_zpsce278050.jpg

DSCF0199-001_zpsa91cd2bd.jpg

Here is a small section of what i believe is bird bone...

DSCF0231_zpsa32bf16a.jpg

DSCF0230_zps60413f96.jpg

DSCF0229_zps46a6680f.jpg

As the hunt neared an end, I happened to glance over towards the grassy shoulder, and I saw a chunk of bright orange colored rock. Thinking Calcite, I picked it up, only to see a course bristled hair sticking out of the side of it!

DSCF0175_zps5bc8cb3a.jpg

DSCF0170-001_zps300bb2d3.jpg

DSCF0177-001_zpsa4093abc.jpg

Needless to say, it passed all the tests for Amber. So, what I found is a chunk of Florida Amber, with a Mammal hair sticking out of it. Anyway, I can find out what the hair belonged to?

Very sorry to hear about the passing of your father. Looking at those pictures, I can certainly see why he loved relaxing their.

Great shells also...and the "amber" is very odd...It's not like any rock I've ever seen from FL, but I've also never heard of amber from here. Cool whatever it is.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Thanks Cris... I have never heard of Florida Amber either, but it's def Amber. It floats on salt water, and passes the burn test. Very ODD to say the least.

Hi,

Sorry for your dad, Lordpiney. You had well tribute by going on this zone which he liked.

Your shells are very nice. I love Vermitidae, and others. What is the age of this area ? Pliocene ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Sorry about your dad but it sounds like you celebrated his life the way he would have liked.

Phil,

So sorry for your loss. You made some great memories after, though.

Great finds,... and just how big WAS that Pleco! :blink:

Looks huge!

Condolences, and best wishes to you and yours.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Sorry to hear about your dad. Enjoyed the pics. Obviously I don't believe those fish are native right?

Condolences on the loss of your Dad.

The fish you picture has the appearance of the plecostomus, Hypostomus plecostomus. This is a popular aquarium fish, although their large, mature size makes them unsuited for smaller tanks. I had one for years, who happily lived in a 70 gal. community tank. She was well over a foot long and even survived jumping out of a small opening in the cover and being stranded on he floor for several hours.

These critters are native to tropical Central and South America. Does anyone know if they have been introduced to FL and become naturalized or is this a single escapee? Alternately, is this just a native fish that looks similar?

Edited by snolly50

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thanks everyone...This Pleco was at least a foot and a half long, and there were two of them. this being the largest of the two.(but not by much!) They both had dug holes in the limestone river bed, and were sleeping headfirst in their holes. They are just another of the introduced fish species that now make Florida waters their home.

Sorry to hear about your dad lordpiney. Hope he is enjoying himself in Heaven. Nice shell finds. That is such a cool Plecostomus catfish.

I am glad you got to spend the last two weeks with your dad. and looking at your pics I can certainly relate to why he loved that place so much! Very cool finds I love the hair in the amber! thats awesome.

mike