Recent Finds From The Windom Of New York

mikeymig

I just found these specimens here in NY. I was surprised on how nice they turned out after I prepped them and wanted to share them with you. Its funny how after all these years finding common fossils can still bring me a thrill. All three of these were nothing to get excited about when I found them but after I got home and cleaned them up, I realized that each one was very special. The single Mediospirifer is the only brachiopod I have ever found with attached brachiopods and the coral slab looks like a sculpture. Fossil collecting is full of surprises and there is never a dull moment when it comes to discovery.

mikey

969650_463662423724869_945454047_n.jpg

972277_463662393724872_40259050_n.jpg

954809_463670330390745_417275960_n.jpg

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

They look like butterflies on a milkweed bloom :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I guess they do look like butterflies on a plant and the corals look like a plate of squirming worms! :)

Mikey

led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Beautiful detail. Are they pyritized?

Beautiful detail. Are they pyritized?

Part of one of the corals is preserved in shiny pyrite.

Mikey

led zeppelin

Great finds and the photography reveals the pieces in a way that allows the viewer to really appreciate them. Please post photographic equipment/technique utilized, if possible. The first and second shots are especially pleasing to my eye.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Great finds and the photography reveals the pieces in a way that allows the viewer to really appreciate them. Please post photographic equipment/technique utilized, if possible. The first and second shots are especially pleasing to my eye.

Thanks, Im glad you like them. I dont use anything special just a Cannon digital camera and I arrange the pics in photoshop to make my trademark "Devonian Green" collage. I think I have a pretty good eye for aesthetics due to displaying hundreds of mineral/fossil specimens for the World of Science during the 90s. I would look at a specimen and in an instant find its good side then mount it on an acrylic base for sale in one of our stores.

mikey

led zeppelin

Awesome presentation of your fantastic finds, Mikey. :wub:

I agree with the others - obviously you know what works - Love looking at your finds.

Great prep, too. Thanks for posting these. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Great presentation, could almost get me interested in collecting corals and brachs as opposed to just trilobites ;)

Edited by trilobiteruss

Very nice, The preservation at that spot is beautiful... (the prep job helps too I'm sure!)

Mikey.... VERY nice work.... Well done and thanks for sharing them....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Gorgeous fossils! Jealous!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I have a lot of Devonian brachiopods and corals found in Germany.

Most of them are in boxes and in my garden (I put them there so that nature will help me prepping them :) )

Your posts and pictures make me appreciate my devonian fossils a lot more, so I did plan to do some work with them (prepping, determination and exhibit them).

When I am on my way I will post some pictures of my finds

Peter

I'm glad so many of you appreciate and enjoy these specimens as much as I do. I'm a trilobite hunter and it wasn't until the past year or so that I paid attention to the corals and brachs of the Devonian. I posted more then a few topics on the forum about my new found interest because it was like an epiphany for me. I wonder how many cool specimens I overlooked in the past 30 years searching for trilobites?

Mikey

led zeppelin

Really nice presentation, mikey.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Very cool specimens Mikey, You sure know how to prep them out to display well. I especially like the cyrtina on the Mediospirifer.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/