Bones And Teeth And Skeletons

dinodigger

Hi gang,

Finally getting around to posting some more photos of our ongoing research on Permian Vertebrates at our North Texas dig site.

The heat has been quite unbearable. My limits are slowly nearing as the temperatures have been close to 105. The temperature in the quarry reflecting off the red clays and sandstones reached 115. I melted.

Our objectives to get a few of the skeletons out of the ground again are being welcomely hampered as we continue to find more amazing specimens. Willi, the worlds best Dimetrodon was found almost two years ago. The prep and mounting is nearing completion and will be in the museum (Houston Museum of Natural Science) hopefully this fall. When I got to the site two weeks ago, I started digging and found a BEAUTIFUL Dimetrodon Clavicle. I texted Dr. Bakker and let him know, as he was on his way down from Colorado. He promptly responded. "Find the other one." He was referring to the right. I had found the left and we now needed the right, which WIlli was missing. Two days later I found the right. I texted Bakker. "I'll kiss you on the lips if you find the interclavicle." What a rare bone. We had never found one. I think only a handful of Dimetrodons around the world have one. Two days later I found the Interclavicle. Bakker didn't kiss me on the lips, but began offering 20$ to the natives around town to do so. I did get a kiss. From Priscilla the longhorn. It was not as romantic as I'd hoped. She did it for free, mind you... I digress.

We have the complete shoulder complex for willi now. Shoulders, collarbones, breastplate. Wow.

Digging for two weeks now. Very very worn and beaten by the sun, but our Permian Queen is slowly beginning to offer more secrets. Found some great teeth, two more complete DIplocaulus skeletons sleeping in their Permian burrows. Virgil the Seco, turns out to be Virgil the Secodontosaurus AND Pavo the Dimetrodon. I saw the Illium and knew it was seco. The bones a meter to the north were obviously Dimetrodon. Two skeletons side by side. Wow wow. Jacketing those both this week.

One more week of Digging. I'd rather stay out for another 6, but I guess lab work calls. Bakker would stay out here with me if I begged.

Ok. Bedtime. Getting up in 5 hours to start digging again.

Cheers,

Chris

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45026327@N05/sets/72157634094366881/

• I found this Informative 1

Nice report, Chris. Thanks again for taking time to keep us in the loop. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks for the update.

Congratulations on the rarities.(Ain't "Texas" great, it just keeps on producing)

So far, it has not hit 100 here in DFW officially.

Unofficially, on the sheltered hillsides, we have seen 105+. To think it's only early June.

Sure does get oppressive, does it not?

Jess B.

Great work, I always love reading your reports.

The pics are also wonderful (as close as one can get without being part of the action).

Thank you

I am in absolute awe; of the ongoing success of the dig, of course, but also of the casual handling of the coral snake (5th & 4th pics from the end of the slide show).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Not a coral - it's Rhinocheilus leconti, the long-nosed snake.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Wow amazing finds you have there. Congrats! Looks like a ton of fun besides the fact that it is 115 out there.

Awesome everything .... fossils, critters, and photography.

I think I would add one of those big white canopies/tents to block the sun though.

Thanks for the updates, Chris!

I appreciate the time it takes you, and the effort involved after a long day of digging.

Very exciting finds! :wub:

Congratulations.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hey, that is a great story, please keep it coming. I'm with Daryl, fold up canopies aren't that expensive, get one and keep your brains from frying in that sun!

Thanks, I had to look up the long-nosed clan. They appear at odds with the doggerel learned in childhood;

Red touch yellow, kill a fellow.

Red touch black, friend of Jack.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Whew! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The tan snake appears to be a coachwhip. First one I ever saw was about 20 years ago. It was slowly going across a gravel road, so I stopped to catch it. It took off so fast, all I could get ahold of was the tail before it disappeared into the grass. I pulled it back out into the road, and it bit me three times before I knew what was going on. It was the fastes snake I ever handled. To this day, I've never seen a faster snake.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

The tan snake appears to be a coachwhip. First one I ever saw was about 20 years ago. It was slowly going across a gravel road, so I stopped to catch it. It took off so fast, all I could get ahold of was the tail before it disappeared into the grass. I pulled it back out into the road, and it bit me three times before I knew what was going on. It was the fastes snake I ever handled. To this day, I've never seen a faster snake.

Ramo

We saw a coachwhip out by Monument Rocks- they are one of my favorite snakes!

• 3 weeks later...

Your Permian progress reports are wonderful. Keep 'em coming! I am really looking forward to seeing the bones at the Houston Museum. Is there a magic password or person I could contact to get a backstage tour of the cleaning area?

Jon

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."