Dfw Area Creek Walking

sward

Yesterday, I spent some time on my normal hillside. Needless to say, with the heat index 100+ and bright sunshine, my water didn't last long. So today, I decided to do a little creek walking instead. I figured wading through some creeks would be cooler than my hillside, plus, I hadn't checked these creeks in a couple of years.

I ended up making a couple of friends, one of which kept following me along the creek:

post-6450-0-52045200-1371316791_thumb.jpg

The scenery was nice and peaceful as I strolled along:

post-6450-0-19605900-1371316867_thumb.jpgpost-6450-0-53015500-1371316907_thumb.jpgpost-6450-0-79266600-1371316950_thumb.jpg

I found some interesting nautilus and turrelite pieces:

post-6450-0-02746100-1371317129_thumb.jpgpost-6450-0-40757000-1371317166_thumb.jpg

I then ended up having to "rescue" a fellow fossil hunter that I encountered in the creek bed:

post-6450-0-82029700-1371317270_thumb.jpg

He introduced himself as Ken and he said he was grateful I had rescued him. He said that he had been hanging there for quite a while, having been washed into that ravine after the last heavy rain we had. He said that he had a girlfriend named Barbie, but she was too fancy to go fossil hunting with him. He ended up being a really nice guy, but he's a bit of a nudist. :wacko: However, being of small stature, he's able to find fossils pretty good.

post-6450-0-38836400-1371317590_thumb.jpgpost-6450-0-30811200-1371317694_thumb.jpgpost-6450-0-09124800-1371317794_thumb.jpg

We ended up parting ways, but promised to keep in touch and go fossil hunting again.

At the end of it, I didn't come home with anything, but enjoyed myself tremendously, and made a new friend to boot.

• I found this Informative 1

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

I think the DPS left Ken there on purpose! :)

That butterfly is so beautiful.. I have been trying to find an online match

but haven't had any luck yet!

That does look like a peaceful place to hunt.

Welcome to the forum!

It is good to Ken-nect with nature...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

haha now that's a hoot! gimme a holler, steven. i may be able to suggest some north tx creeks that could produce for you. just depends on how far you are willing to hike, wade, or paddle. let's get you hooked up.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

haha now that's a hoot!

When I found "Ken", it reminded me of a post you made recently about unusual finds. I remember you had pictures of a doll that you had found and you had placed it in your kayak. I remember yours being a little "creepy" looking.

Ken...he's just a nudist.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

i have another creepy creek find to show in my june report. its a detached baby doll face on a gravel bar and it apparently took a short range shotgun blast of number 7 1/2 or 8 bird shot... maybe a dick cheney huntin' buddy???

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

That was a crack up!

Great report, made for a brilliant start to the morning,

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Thanks you for sharing your adventure! You just made my day, thanks!

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Nice little excursion. Sometimes, it'd be nice to be as small as a Ken doll. My typical finds would be more spectacular. :)

Context is critical.