Calvert Cliffs Tooth + Invertebrate Id Help Please

newsharktoothfinder

Just went to Brownie's Beach and picked up the usual assortment of little shark teeth. I also grabbed a couple of fossils which I'm not sure about and would appreciate any ID help. My apologies for the so-so photo quality.

Regarding the first couple of photos, when I grabbed it I assumed it was a part of a crab shell, but looking around online I'm now wondering if it's a dolphin/porpoise tooth. Any ideas?

As far as the second set, I'm guessing it's some kind of coral, but possibly some kind of shell? If it's a shell, what kind would it be? The only current thing I've seen that's big enough is abalone, but it doesn't seem shaped right for that. It doesn't seem to have the cells to be a coral, though. Or is it some kind of accumulation of stuff, like a bunch of barnacles that glommed together?

For what it's worth, the water at Brownies was nice and warm and quite clean from big recent storms. And for some reason, on a Friday afternoon in mid June nobody was collecting admission. I'm always happy to pay, but I guess this time I lucked out.

Thanks for any ideas.

post-3511-0-35088400-1371424977_thumb.jpg

post-3511-0-76964900-1371424991_thumb.jpg

post-3511-0-20320900-1371425002_thumb.jpg

post-3511-0-23174600-1371425016_thumb.jpg

Edited by newsharktoothfinder

The photos of the tooth are a little dark for a good ID. The size and shape is about right for your initial ID. The second item is an Ostrea percrassa (oyster) which are common from zone 4 at that location.

post-281-0-70552100-1371429362_thumb.jpg post-281-0-31208100-1371429443_thumb.jpg

Edited by obsessed1

Thanks for the reply. By "initial ID" do you mean the crab shell ID or the dolphin/porpoise tooth ID? I've attached a couple of cleaned up shots if they help at all, the best I could do. Unfortunately my regular camera just died.

If it is a tooth, any idea which is the root end? I couldn't capture it with the camera I have now, but the flatter end is sort of inwardly cupped. Looking at this thread, I'm thinking that the pointy end is the root and the section of the tooth that appeared above the gum has broken off or else eroded away.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/24963-my-angustidens-and-whaleporpoise-teeth/

Those must have been some pretty huge oysters compared to what you get in the Bay today, unfortunately. I noticed the first photo you posted has a circular hole near the top about a 1/4 inch in diameter, similar to what's in mine. Is that a sign of an ancient parasite, like a whelk or something?

post-3511-0-84111800-1371477932_thumb.jpg

post-3511-0-01468600-1371477944_thumb.jpg

I agree with your assessment -- assuming that these are porpoise teeth (and it sure looks like it to me), the pointy ends are the root ends, and the enamel/tooth ends are mostly worn away or broken off.

Check out this gallery photo of mine that shows some various dolphin/porpoise teeth from Brownies:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/image/25656-assortment2/

Congrats on finding these, they're always a little tougher to spot/pull than shark teeth, IMO!