Fossil Shark Tooth

Metopocetus

I am not very good on Id's but through

looking through one of my books, I am

going to say it sure looks like a

Serratolamna Serrata

Welcome to the forum!

I guess I should have said where it was found so you have formation and age info...silly me. It was found at Calvert Cliffs, Calvert Formation

Cat shark maybe??? It kinda looks like a Tope shark too, maybe..... :unsure:

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

well i dont have any of my books with me but if you couldnt find it in any of yours im not sure what it could be

Well I think it is an Extinct Sharpnose Shark (Rhizoprionodon fischeuri) but I wanted to see what other people though first

Guest bmorefossil
Well I think it is an Extinct Sharpnose Shark (Rhizoprionodon fischeuri) but I wanted to see what other people though first

thats what i was thinking at first but the root looks different but it might not be

thats what i was thinking at first but the root looks different but it might not be

The root is missing a little bit on one side. Thats probably why it looks a little off.

I'll vote for that too, unless the root is really thick. In which case I would say spotted hound shark. It's hard to tell how thick the root is in the pictures.

Is it "small", "tiny", or "teensy-tiny"?

Can you take a pic with something for scale?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Is it "small", "tiny", or "teensy-tiny"?

Can you take a pic with something for scale?

It is itty-bitty...about a 1/4" over all.

It is itty-bitty...about a 1/4" over all.

Then I agree with Rhizoprionodon. I used to sieve them by the film can full at Chesapeake Beach (right from the sand at the pier).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Then I agree with Rhizoprionodon. I used to sieve them by the film can full at Chesapeake Beach (right from the sand at the pier).

Yeah, I just started going there again now that gas is so cheap, I can afford to drive...plus the beach I normally collect at hasn't been turning anything up. This is the first one I've ever found but maybe I will try a sieve next time.