Pleistocene Whatzit

tracer

Hard to say...have you had a chance to clean it up (or has TJ been abusing you with his mammoth tooth plate)? A shot of the large end might help.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hard to say...have you had a chance to clean it up (or has TJ been abusing you with his mammoth tooth plate)? A shot of the large end might help.

i'll try to take a better picture of the large end tomorrow. i just like posting the in-situ pictures because i think it's more fun for everyone to see those. it's sort of a three-lobed affair that looks fairly symmetrical.

tj also found a very nice horse molar, which for him was a treat, since he'd not found a complete, nice one before. his latest thing is that he's trying to get me to buy a jon boat, but his strategy is to try to get me to buy him a truck, which could then be used to pull the jon boat he wants me to buy. economics is not his forte.

his latest thing is that he's trying to get me to buy a jon boat, but his strategy is to try to get me to buy him a truck, which could then be used to pull the jon boat he wants me to buy. economics is not his forte.

i believe it's a very practical idea. i'm going to need something for college anyway :D

Guest Nicholas
i believe it's a very practical idea. i'm going to need something for college anyway :D

Just tell him that if he forks the cash for that and college you'll take economics!

Just tell dad that you will let him borrow it ever now and then, if you are not using it.

Just tell dad that you will let him borrow it ever now and then, if you are not using it.

that idea seems very reasonable to me :) i mean how else are we going to be able to tow our jon boat? :P

forget tj's wheels issue. i took the car he has now in this morning for a/c being out and they want 900 samoleans to fix it. tj is high maintenance. while he sleeps, i spend money on him.

here's a better picture of the big end of the bone. i love this bone, because it is the rich dark brown of antiquity, plus it weighs forty 'leven pounds. basically, it's a boney-looking rock. i love those. but i love them better if i know what critter they frequented, so that's where ya'll come in...

post-488-1227889827_thumb.jpg

What strikes me is how gracile the shaft is compared to the massive end. (I know this is no help, but maybe it will get the wheels turning).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

ok, soooo, like, a proximal tibia? from a very old, very skinny animal who was always teased about it's giant knees?

ok, soooo, like, a proximal tibia? from a very old, very skinny animal who was always teased about it's giant knees?

If you're thinking of camel or llama tibia, it seems reasonable.

Doh! Sorry, I didn't mean to say reasonable, Tracer. Hey, is it Tracer as in projectile, or skip?

John - look, i'm getting desperate. i personally found big miss knobby knee, and i'm hoping she's somehow something spiffy enough to impart the slightest smidgen of humility to that banty rooster which is my son. reasonableness is not even a consideration here. does anybody here know anybody associated with a phd or other artificial credibility enhancer who can swear that bone is from something cool?!

P.S. - With regard to your question, the two are not mutually exclusive. Clearly, i am fairly direct and flamboyant in my progression from any given point to the next. additionally, i routinely snoopy dance, which is akin to skipping. so my answer to your question could be "yes". but in fact, the two premises you posed are not the only two possible. perhaps i love to draw but have no skill at it and must therefore use transparent paper placed over whatever picture i want to replicate. perhaps i place dye in drainage pipes and see where it comes out. perhaps i choose handles by whatever thought first comes to mind and i thought of a fable about a tortoise and a hare and felt that if i'd entered the race as a tortoise, then i would have been a "t-racer" or "tracer" for short (and slow).

but you know, it just might be an acronym. what if it means "throwing really awkward comedic expressions randomly"? then, i remain obligated to do as i do. one can't go against one's name.

<snoopy dancing for johnj>

Tracing (copying) cannot be the origin of your moniker :P and you worked too hard to explain the rest. ;)

i believe the banty rooster comment was a bit unnecessary, i prefer to picture myself as a graceful mammoth wandering the rivers of texas.

john - actually i don't work hard at throwing out that snarge, which is the scary part. my brain really does that - all i have to do is take the straitjacket off it for a minute and then slap it back on.

at least i never considered calling myself "graceful mammoth"

"graceful mammoth"

Another great band name!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

If you're thinking of camel or llama tibia, it seems reasonable.

Doh! Sorry, I didn't mean to say reasonable, Tracer. Hey, is it Tracer as in projectile, or skip?

I'm thinking aprox. end of a tibia as well. But it is too round for a camel. More deer like.

Are you sure it is fossil? Heavily replaced? Did you do a burn test on its?

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

I'm thinking aprox. end of a tibia as well. But it is too round for a camel. More deer like.

Are you sure it is fossil? Heavily replaced? Did you do a burn test on its?

very, very mineralized. very heavy. definitely a fossil, and seems too big to be from a deer.