Part 2 - 100 Hours Collecting In The Austin Chalk Of North Texas

vertman

i usually think of burrows as having a more constant cross section while this thing is tapered. did you flip it and inspect the unworn side for tubercles and sutures?

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Could we see an end view of this thing too? I'm sure you know what the Baculite cross section tends to look like..

Could we see an end view of this thing too? I'm sure you know what the Baculite cross section tends to look like..

Here are shots of both sides and one end of this specimen. I am still thinking burrow. The strange thing is that most of the places I have found burrows there have been a lot of them in the rock. This was the only specimen at this location.

post-5008-0-65455300-1375927863_thumb.jpg

post-5008-0-91600700-1375927880_thumb.jpg

post-5008-0-52236000-1375927903_thumb.jpg

Hours 51 & 52

Sunday August 3 2013

It has been a few weeks since I have been able to collect anything so my Austin Project has hit a bit of a rut. Hopefully I can change that and get out a lot in the next few weeks. I am beginning to be able to smell the finish line on this thing. I do plan on spending the next 25-30 hours collecting the middle third of the Austin. I forget the member name right now but I expect it to be very highly fossil-free. We will see.

I had a few hours today so I jumped out into a spot near my house. It was a cool 104 degrees when I started. I love the heat so it doesn't really bother me. But I think it was too hot for the fossils to come out. In the couple hours the specimen in the attached images is really the only interesting thing I saw. Since I am in the middle Austin there are a ton of huge fragmentary clams and oysters. I should get around to collecting a few of those to include in the faunal listing I have collected during this project.

I would like to ask your opinions. Is the specimen in these images a burrow or is it a Baculites? I don't see any ornamentation at all on the specimen that would be a dead giveaway. I think I am leaning toward it being a burrow. Your thoughts are appreciated. This piece is about 8 inches in length.

Hopefully I will get to collect a lot more very soon.

Until then 48 hours remaining...

Was curious about what I've circled in red from your photo?

post-1240-0-94283000-1375931814_thumb.jpg

Is that just an odd weathering pattern or perhaps a burrow/feeding trace within the larger burrow/baculites? Regards, Chris

Good eye, Chris.. I didn't see that first time. I wonder if this is that sponge, I forget the name.. somebody help? It grew on/into shells.

Otherwise I would say the thing looks like a burrow too, considering the irregularity and I have seen isolated burrows too, up here at least.

...I wonder if this is that sponge, I forget the name.. somebody help? It grew on/into shells.

Entobia?

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

• 6 months later...

Gang, I know I have been incredibly remiss in not providing updates on this project in a long time. Some of you were really interested in it so I do apologize for the quiet period. I guess the craziness of all the events in 2013 finally caught up to me. I have done almost no collecting since the late part of the summer. I went back to the creek where I left the nautiloid shown earlier in this post for a second chance to dig it out. I ended up badly tearing ligaments in my right wrist. It has been quite a long process trying to get healed up. I have only gotten back to the point where I can lift a gallon of milk in the last five or six weeks. On top of that the fossil is still there, as far as I know anyway.

I have 48 hours of work remaining and I promise I will complete those hours. It may realistically take me into the summer to get it done but get it done I will. Once completed I will provide a detailed report showing all the things I found and mentioning to the best of my ability the various zones in which I found them.

I have been following the collecting of some of you fellow forum members as you have been working the Austin here locally pretty hard in the last several months. Some of you have done quite well. I hope to be joining you back out there very soon!

richard, you inspired me to explore various upper k outcrops since last summer. great inverts but not much verty for me on those excursions.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."