Coprolite? Lobster?

jeffP

I read the pinned topics at the top of this forum.

I have looked over this site for the past few days to save you from having to help a newbie like me, but I am still not sure about the identity of this.

My son found this last year when we were squirrel hunting in central WV(western Randolph county). I'll attach several photos with a coin used as a guide. I'll also attach a snapshot of the WV Geologic map that I was introduced to on here.

post-1037-1227911871_thumb.jpg

post-1037-1227911888_thumb.jpg

post-1037-1227911907_thumb.jpg

post-1037-1227911971_thumb.jpg

Well, there are things about it that at first make me reach for the drawn butter, but there are irregularities in the repeating pattern (plus, an un-flattened fossil of a flexible shelled animal from the Carboniferous would be...unusual). I wonder whether it could be a burrow?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks like coprolite to me, I have several that look alot like that, but I am not familar with the area so I don't know?

P.S. - Jeff, nobody here minds helping a newbie, and we all like looking at people's pictures and trying to figure out what stuff is, so don't hesitate to post.

regards,

tracer

Thanks to everyone for the prompt replies. This is the only one of our fossil collection that I need help with. Heck, all of the others are leaves, bark, or shells. Scratch those last two sentences. As I am typing this, I am looking up at another one that I am fairly certain of, but not 100% sure. I forgot about it. I'll get some pictures of it maybe tomorrow and see if I am correct.

Thanks to everyone for the prompt replies. This is the only one of our fossil collection that I need help with. Heck, all of the others are leaves, bark, or shells. Scratch those last two sentences. As I am typing this, I am looking up at another one that I am fairly certain of, but not 100% sure. I forgot about it. I'll get some pictures of it maybe tomorrow and see if I am correct.

If you can please take some pics of the leaves and bark too. There is a good man from France named Bruno that has been posting his wonderful plants for us to see and he was wanting to see some US stuff but there isn't that many on here that has them, if you don't mind?

Guest solius symbiosus

Not a lot to go on, but I would think that it is plant material. Those rocks were deposited in a large delta that received a lot of remains of the flora from the mountains to the east.

I have a iron concretion that looks very similar to what you've got. Limonite concretion like what tracer said?

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

Not a lot to go on, but I would think that it is plant material. Those rocks were deposited in a large delta that received a lot of remains of the flora from the mountains to the east.

That's also what it looks like to me, like some sort of pine cone type thing.

Kevin Wilson

I have a number of Lobsters from the Late Cretaceous, Bearpwa fmr. and what you have looks close but not quite.

Not a problem. Its an old Baby Ruth candy bar. Mystery solved, thank you very much.

RB

Ala "Caddyshack"?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!