Looking At Buying A T-Rex Tooth, Need Advice.

tomzande

Hey after researching it up a bit I am now quite terrified of spending a large some of money on a T-rex tooth only to find out later this it's a Nanotyrannus tooth.
So I've narrowed it down to these two websites and would like to know if they are reputable and if the teeth I am interested in are in fact that of a T-rex.

Edited by JohnJ

This forum does not appraise fossils or fossil dealers. If you would like an opinion on the quality or authenticity of a particular tooth, then post a photo. :) For more specific information, do a little searching on the Forum to see which members may have similar teeth in their collection and send them a polite inquiry (PM). Spending that kind of money on a tooth would terrify me too.

;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Welcome to the Forum, good to see another Aus member!

See if you can get in contact with a member called Down Under Fossil Hunter, he's also from Aus and loves therapod teeth, so will be very helpful (follow above advice for contacting him)

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Welcome to the forum. Let me complicate your search and say that a lot of dealers on the web are not as informed as you may think and are mislead by sellers, even the most honest of them. My suggestion to you is similar to the one that has already been made to you. If you have a potential candidate post it and you will receive great commentary on it. Good luck and you are correct to be cautious.

I would recommend you to read this article by a fellow TFT member - Paleoworld101:

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/Buying-Fossil-Dinosaur-Teeth-What-You-Should-Know/10000000052928415/g.html

He's also from Aus. (LOL, is it coincidence or is it just me that I find many Aussie to have obsession with collecting dinosaur teeth. :P )

Regardless, it's a very informative and well-written introductory article for anyone interested in collecting or purchasing dinosaur teeth.

I read a little about this. there is a formula for how my serrations per mm to tell a T rex from a tarbosaur, nanotyrannus, daspletosaur(spelling) and ther cousins.... educate yourself first... a nasty cousin tooth is less money and almost as terrible in your hand like mine is.. it didthe trick for me and saved tons of cash.

I would recommend you to read this article by a fellow TFT member - Paleoworld101:

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/Buying-Fossil-Dinosaur-Teeth-What-You-Should-Know/10000000052928415/g.html

He's also from Aus. (LOL, is it coincidence or is it just me that I find many Aussie to have obsession with collecting dinosaur teeth. :P )

Regardless, it's a very informative and well-written introductory article for anyone interested in collecting or purchasing dinosaur teeth.

Thankyou for your kind words!

Yes we Aussies have got a thing for dino teeth alright! Maybe its because so little dinosaur stuff has been found in Australia, we have to compensate?

P.S- I added some stuff on identifying T.rex teeth to the 'Tyrannosaurus' section of my guide, seems to be a very common question so it was worth putting it in.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Hey after researching it up a bit I am now quite terrified of spending a large some of money on a T-rex tooth only to find out later this it's a Nanotyrannus tooth.

So I've narrowed it down to these two websites and would like to know if they are reputable and if the teeth I am interested in are in fact that of a T-rex.

Just found this post...... have you had any luck getting your hands on a Rex tooth?