Popular Crab Site Closed

CH4ShotCaller

Haven't gone on a crab concretion dig for a couple months, so I took off early this morning before it got too hot. I found the County had placed the area off limits to collectors. One of the loggers stopped and told me the county shut it down because some collector(s) had made it dangerous and filled in the drainage ditch. Great.... just peachy. :angry:

post-7395-0-73393400-1372718994_thumb.jpg

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

And then the, um, careless people responsible for having it closed off will still sneak in to collect anyway....

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

Bugger :(

I should link this to the "Collecting Ethics" topic, as an example of the results of careless exploitation.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Too bad. Some thoughtless individual(s) have ruined a very good spot. Prime example of greed and a 'who cares' attitude. This happens a lot and another reason why private landowners won't let folks hunt anymore and many more sites have been closed to collectors.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

I hate news like this!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

That's it - just 'keep out' spraypainted on the loose barrier? You're supposed to take that seriously?

And this was public property.. what was it used for before, logging? I'd also like to know just what the careless collectors did to make it dangerous. I'm not condoning whatever they did but sometimes the authorities can overreact I think.. just wondering if that's the case here.

That's it - just 'keep out' spraypainted on the loose barrier? You're supposed to take that seriously?

And this was public property.. what was it used for before, logging? I'd also like to know just what the careless collectors did to make it dangerous. I'm not condoning whatever they did but sometimes the authorities can overreact I think.. just wondering if that's the case here.

That's what I thought at first, someone did it to keep us out until a logger told me. The same is sprayed on the road marks for #'s.This stretch is a county maintained road, I would think they would have the authority to shut it down to collecting. Recently they cleared the ditches out for the rainy season and now it's filled in again with a huge undercut with overhang. Not sure if they're concerned about a slide or collapse or both. If I don't see a posted sign by next month, I 'might' give it a looky.

I saw this happen at the Lucas Creek agate/carnelian sites several years ago... the best red carnelian I've ever seen! The resulting landslide was blamed on collectors. Try and collect at that site...don't call me to bail you out if you're caught. :rofl:

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

I would try calling the county. I've never seen a Govt. agency use spray paint as a legal posting. Loggers don't like people walking around either.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

I would try calling the county. I've never seen a Govt. agency use spray paint as a legal posting. Loggers don't like people walking around either.

That's the plan this morning... when they open.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

In my area of the wet wild woods (Allegheny Plateau in northern Pennsylvania), the logging companies have to post a security bond for road damage, and are responsible for maintenance. If this is the practice in Washington as well, the loggers have more of a stake in this than merely reducing the 'nuisance factor' of the occasional collector.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Well, it's not the county. Could be the land holder (Weyerhaeuser, Green River, etc.), tweeker , overzealous collector or anyone. that doesn't want anyone collecting for whatever reason. Will find out soon enough....

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Shurr hope it isn't closed but it looks as if it may be loggers paint u see it all over and I would say the rainy season is still a while a way like the fall time

No matter who is trying to exercise control over the Lincoln Cr. Fm. crab site; I hope when it is resolved, collecting is allowed and everyone realizes how a site can get closed fast if the irresponsible collectors have their way. Looks like beautiful wooded country out there and the crabs are even prettier. (Crabs pretty? Is that possible?) :blush:

Edited by fossilcrazy

No matter who is trying to exercise control over the Lincoln Cr. Fm. crab site; I hope when it is resolved, collecting is allowed and everyone realizes how a site can get closed fast if the irresponsible collectors have their way. Looks like beautiful wooded country out there and the crabs are even prettier. (Crabs pretty? Is that possible?) :blush:

You're right on point. Oh, pretty crab? Wait 'til ya see the one I've been prepping for over 2 months. It's a 'sticky' crab and it's taking an enormous amount of time, but will be worth every hour in the end! :)

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

We feel your pain. Unfortunately all too often the few rotten apples metaphor applies and hurts the rest of us.

Not to defend the bad apples. But I myself have returned to a remote site and realized my debris/talus/scree/diggings or whatever you want call it, from my last visit, were not something I would be proud of.

Though at the time did not think about it. I was happy with my finds and tired, and left a pile of rock down hill. I did nothing more than the people before me did, but my debris finished the talus slope into the roadway and drainage.

It is always good to take a look around before you leave a dig. I took all my trash out, but still left a mess :(

But was a easy clean up. :)

Edited by bdevey

Not to defend the bad apples. But I myself have returned to a remote site and realized my debris/talus/scree/diggings or whatever you want call it, from my last visit, were not something I would be proud of.

Though at the time did not think about it. I was happy with my finds and tired, and left a pile of rock down hill. I did nothing more than the people before me did, but my debris finished the talus slope into the roadway and drainage.

It is always good to take a look around before you leave a dig. I took all my trash out, but still left a mess :(

But was a easy clean up. :)

Just my guess, but since the county (I called PUD Roads for that county) and talked briefly with the supervisor; they didn't mark that area. Possibly, as Auspex stated, the loggin company's may have and for more than just the bar ditch. It's difficult to see, but behind the talus, there's a large undercut and another large over hang. Honestly, I won't go in or under that hang... it's gonna be a killer. That road is a main thoroughfare for all traffic, especially logging trucks. A closed road for a landslide equals lost $$ and it could happen BEFORE the rain in the fall.

Oh well, it's done and I'll be hunting for new sites. This one is too spooky to search and not worth getting hurt or worse.

Edited by CH4ShotCaller

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif