Show Us Your Orthocones

Roz

To me, the shape is defined by the overlaying layer of rock, and may not be something unto itself:

post-423-0-52739000-1374862567_thumb.jpg

post-423-0-74038800-1374862577_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

To me, the shape is defined by the overlaying layer of rock, and may not be something unto itself:

attachicon.gif~~~~.JPG

attachicon.gif~~~.JPG

That is a pic of the negitive part of the fossil, so the imprint might be a shadow from where it spilt.

I thought worm when I first found it, I cracked the limestone slab and it was in the middle. But the rock and fossils in the rock look to be from the Silurian Racine Formation Dolomite and Ordovician (per info from my other post). Roots or worms??? Not sure lol.

Here's one that's in a rock in Lomont IL. Way to big to take lol, its starting to weather real bad tho...

post-11488-0-46435400-1374865257_thumb.jpg

Edited by JoeySRT8

Here are a few. They are Mooreoceras or Pseudorthoceras. All are Pennsylvanian....

Winterset Limestone. The shell is encrusted with algae:

attachicon.gif093-orthocone-large.jpg

Chanute Formation:

attachicon.gif81-Chanute-orthocones.jpg

Liberty Memorial Formation:

attachicon.gif097-orthocone-crushed.jpg

by the Pennsylvanian they were getting smaller in size, it seems to me.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I am not so sure that this is a cephalopod, and I am pretty sure that those aren't tentacles.

What, I wonder, is the black material?

attachicon.gif~~~.JPG

It looks organic to me?

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

:) Certainly don't take my word for it! lol It just reminded me of a root I found awhile ago because of how it appears to wrap around with the rock. There was one area in yours where it looked a little braided in appearance to me, which made me think of my #4 on this post... http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/36833-plant-ids/?hl=root#entry406546

I am more than likely wrong though! And who knows, mine may not even be a root!!! Haha :D

Yes, close-ups of the possible worm, please. :)

Speaking of that, what is (was) the formation that produced the carbonized worms in the Chicago area?

Edit: To answer my own question, a TFF post by oilshale: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/10653-show-us-your-annelid-fossils/?p=291368

Well, my question was still unanswered :) , but a quick Google search turned up 'Racine Dolomite'.

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

Got some close ups and scale using a quarter :).

1st picture is the positive w scale.

2nd picture is of the negitive

3rd picture is also of the positive part of the fossil

4th picture is of the positive part of the body (we'll call it for now lol)

post-11488-0-96369000-1374878050_thumb.jpg

post-11488-0-05115700-1374878071_thumb.jpg

post-11488-0-89748300-1374878091_thumb.jpg

post-11488-0-92648100-1374878188_thumb.jpg

Edited by JoeySRT8

:) Certainly don't take my word for it! lol It just reminded me of a root I found awhile ago because of how it appears to wrap around with the rock. There was one area in yours where it looked a little braided in appearance to me, which made me think of my #4 on this post... http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/36833-plant-ids/?hl=root#entry406546

I am more than likely wrong though! And who knows, mine may not even be a root!!! Haha :D

Its possible it could be my first 2 thoughs were worm cause it looked like an earth worm and then a root of some sort. I thought the tentacles (we'll call them for now) were very odd. Some said they thought it could be a ceph.

I can't wait to hear what it is, I just cannot tell although your pics are good!

:popcorn:

Welcome to the forum!

Lol yea me to I just cant figure it out and everybody seems to have a different opinion on it. I want to take it to one of our esconi (earth science club of northern illinois) meetings, but its in a block of limestone thats pretty heavy.

It IS cool looking whatever it turns out to be.

Got some close ups and scale using a quarter :).

1st picture is the positive w scale.

2nd picture is of the negitive

3rd picture is also of the positive part of the fossil

4th picture is of the positive part of the body (we'll call it for now

Any other ideas?? :)

After looking at Caleb's link, it does resemble a worm to me anyway.

Is there anyway you knock some of the block off without

damaging the fossil so you could take in to your meeting?

If you do please come back and tell us anything that is found out!

Welcome to the forum!

I will let ya know, its pretty cool if its a 3d fossil worm from the Silurian Racine Formation Dolomite. :D

That would be cool! Any chance you can find your original post to comment on?! Some members may not be realize you are looking for a potential worm ID on this thread! Just a suggestion. :)

That would be cool! Any chance you can find your original post to comment on?! Some members may not be realize you are looking for a potential worm ID on this thread! Just a suggestion. :)

I'll look for it and post on that topic, sorry for hijacking this thread. Many said it was an orthocone.

I'll look for it and post on that topic, sorry for hijacking this thread. Many said it was an orthocone.

:) I just thought you might get more responses if it had it's own post. Who knows, maybe it will end up being an orthocone again?!?!?! lol! :P