May And June Trips To "les Vaches Noires"

elcoincoin

Hello all

I couldnt find time for photos and report before so there it is, better late than never.

Once again High tide and weekend matched in the end of may so i decided to head to Houlgate in Normandy (France) again and spend the week end there.

Since April visit been so good i was quite worry bout what i would be able to find.

I was there for 20 min when i noticed this tooth : Size 2 cm but perfect condition and finally it appeared to be a croc tooth. I knew u could find reptiles bits there but thats my first ever here andi can tell you i was bouncing around all over the beach

gallery_7795_1727_97557.jpg

After that the rest of the day was a less exciting but i still managed to find my usual suspects

Pyritized Ammos :

gallery_7795_1727_106541.jpg

gallery_7795_1727_17048.jpg

gallery_7795_1727_147429.jpg

and more ...

Gastros : Encyclus and Orbornella

gallery_7795_1727_70402.jpg

gallery_7795_1727_89234.jpg

Pecten

gallery_7795_1727_40041.jpg

Some pyritized phragmocone

gallery_7795_1727_43616.jpg

Also some fossilized wood (they still in the water).... Heres a sample i picked up earlier in the winter.

Notice the fossilized shells on it, indicating it was drifted wood that got colonized then fossilized (close up in my galery)

gallery_7795_1727_25879.jpg

On my way back to car, i also found a couple of ursins ( 4 different species) including that beautiful Nucleolites Scutatus.

gallery_7795_1727_45835.jpg

My trip in june wasnt that good. Tide was snarge but i felt the urge to go and check still.

I didnt find anything at all, really Nada, but that 1 ammo (Only ammo of the day) which is my biggest i found there

No idea at all of the specie, weirdly pyritized. Spent 6 hours on the beach and nothing more.

Lesson learnt : i wont go again if no high Tide. Good point is that im on holiday for next big one, so ill be there again.

gallery_7795_1727_237098.jpg

The Black Cows are generous with you!

Very nice :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That Croc? tooth is beautiful, the ammonite's are amazing. Great finds and thanks for sharing them with us.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

In my opinion, that tooth is Pliosaur...not Croc. The Ammo's, and the rest of your finds are quite lovely!

Very nice collection, I like the detail on these. Too bad they're pyritized - may be pretty but that means more care in conservation... Do you have trouble preserving against pyrite disease?

Very nice finds. The tooth is awesome and so is the wood!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Yep, nice finds! Particularly like seeing the wood and the attached shells. Can you tell what types they are..Are they all oysters of some type...the one on the right looks like it might be slightly different and has some type of ribbing? Thanks for showing us. Regards, Chris

Very nice collection, I like the detail on these. Too bad they're pyritized - may be pretty but that means more care in conservation... Do you have trouble preserving against pyrite disease?

So far the pyritized ammo preserved but just lost their shiny aspect.

At the moment im trying a treatment. So far it seems to work, but only time will tell.

Some product used against boat corrosion. It works nice for pyrite cristal, so i hope short bath for ammos will work aswell.

In my opinion, that tooth is Pliosaur...not Croc. The Ammo's, and the rest of your finds are quite lovely!

There are 4 types of marine reptiles bits that can be found in "les Vaches Noires".

1 is Ichtyosaur

1 is pliosaur (Liopleurodon Ferox)

2 type of crocs

And honestly teeth are not that different.

At first I excluded pliosaur. The tooth is in very good shape and if it was pliosaur i would expect a bigger root.

So the game was between ichtyosaur and croc.

The point making me choose croc is that even, if u hardly see it (actually u feel it when u got it in your hands better than u see it) is the tooth got a "hull" its not perfectly conical.

Yep, nice finds! Particularly like seeing the wood and the attached shells. Can you tell what types they are..Are they all oysters of some type...the one on the right looks like it might be slightly different and has some type of ribbing? Thanks for showing us. Regards, Chris

The ribbed one isnt an oyster as far as can tell. Not certain bout what it was.

A cool theory is it could be the kind of bivalves that drill old wood or even soft rocks, but thats only 1 possibility.

Edited by elcoincoin

Good luck with the treatment and keep us updated on it.

I also have to say that the wood with bivalves is interesting - I find wood and bivalves (incl. oyster types) up my local hill but the combination of the two is something I have not yet seen.

• 2 weeks later...

I went here last week.. And I can find some prety things, ammonites, gastropods.. I'm crazy about this site, I found my first ammonite at the Vaches Noire cliff.

About your invertebrate fauna :

First pyritized ammonite : Quenstedoceras lamberti (SOWERBY, 1819) from Upper Callovian, Lamberti zone

Then, I don't know exactly, I've found allmost the same and I learn bout. Have you got some stratigraphics precisions about it ?

On the right and on the left, two Hecticoceras sp. Between, another Q. lamberti (SOWERBY, 1819)

The first gastropods I would see Oolithica meriani (GOLDFUSS, 1844)

Then, Obornella discus (EUDES-DESLONGCHAMPS, 1849) a rare gastropod specie

The Pectinid could be Pecten fibrosus SOWERBY, 1816

I don't know about the last ammonite because it isn't prepping and a bit damage, may be Quenstedtoceras or Pachyceras

The shell on the wood seems to be a piece of the genus Oxytoma

Regards

Regards,

Bathollovian

I cleaned the last ammo a bit and i should be posting new pictures once i shot them.

However, it will take a bit since ill be on the field again most of the current week.

Thanx for the IDs, i had nailed the gastropods but i am always a bit lost concerning small ammos

Regards