Bone Or Psuedofossil

fossilquestioner

• New Members

Okay, I have been searching the internet all afternoon for a possible ID on this object. We found it while arrowhead hunting near Gatesville, TX. The ground is covered with lots of flint. I did a geological map search of the area and found it to be in a crustaceous area. I am close to tossing it out the door to reside outside with the landscaping, but I want to be sure that it is not important before I do that.

post-1043-1228080301_thumb.jpgpost-1043-1228080326_thumb.jpgpost-1043-1228080338_thumb.jpg

These are close ups of the end. This is where I become increasingly unsure of the objects identity because of the circular striations around the center hole.

post-1043-1228080347_thumb.jpgpost-1043-1228080354_thumb.jpg

Here is a close up of two gashes on the object.

post-1043-1228080361_thumb.jpgpost-1043-1228080369_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the help.

In some ways it looks like burrow infill (shape, varied inclusions in the material), in others it looks concretionary (concentric cross-section, hole in the middle). It does not, however, appear to be organic remains.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It looks like a piece of flow stone. Does it have concentric growth bands at the ends?

Boy, does that ring some bells! I remember now that my grandfather had some broken stalactites that looked just like that.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Okay, I have been searching the internet all afternoon for a possible ID on this object. We found it while arrowhead hunting near Gatesville, TX. The ground is covered with lots of flint. I did a geological map search of the area and found it to be in a crustaceous area. I am close to tossing it out the door to reside outside with the landscaping, but I want to be sure that it is not important before I do that.

post-1043-1228080301_thumb.jpgpost-1043-1228080326_thumb.jpgpost-1043-1228080338_thumb.jpg

These are close ups of the end. This is where I become increasingly unsure of the objects identity because of the circular striations around the center hole.

post-1043-1228080347_thumb.jpgpost-1043-1228080354_thumb.jpg

Here is a close up of two gashes on the object.

post-1043-1228080361_thumb.jpgpost-1043-1228080369_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the help.

Stalactite? Stalagmite? :blink: