Who Lost This Toe?

tracer

yes, i know tj and i find too many things that we can't identify. but this toe looks a lot different from any other toes we've found, and we've found some toes. so if you can help ID this, then we can put a toe tag on it and that'll be the end of that. it has a little dimple in the top (not pictured) and a big dimple in the bottom. it's obviously a fossil. very heavy. yes, bigfoot is very much a consideration. yes, i know my photography and graphic arts scuk. i will be informing tj that he owes a free pedicure to whomever can ID this thing.

post-488-1228084850_thumb.jpg

post-488-1228084858_thumb.jpg

post-488-1228084872_thumb.jpg

"sloth phalange"

Now it's my turn to stare at the CRT.

(How long could one go without any opportunity to use that phrase conversationally)?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

look, i don't want to talk about it! he's got, like, some kind of supernatural powers! since we last spoke of his acquisitions, he's also found a good horse molar, a horse incisor, and another tiny piece of a mammoth tooth plate. i need to get him to stop picking up the smaller things and take pictures of them in situ so you can see what i'm talking about. i'm still upset that i can't figure out what my bone is that i posted the other day, because i just know it'd be something interesting.

i'm going to go eat dinner and contemplate this situation...

nicholas - it isn't limited to fossiling. at some point your children go from being helpless to being stronger, faster, more quick-witted, etc. than you are. it is the natural order of things. and you would be surprised how you feel about it when it's your kid. i do go in his room though and re-examine all the cool stuff occasionally.

Before I even found out about this forum, I never knew Sloths even existed in N America!

Great find!

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

A singular phalange is also called a phalanx. I too think this may be a sloth phalanx, but the again I've only picked up a couple (other than ungual phalanges, or claws)

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."