Just Found My 3 Somniosus Microcephalus Upper

arien

Congratulations. Nice tooth. How long is it and what age?

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

Arien,

That's a great one. I've seen several lowers but maybe just 2 or 3 uppers.

Jess

Just found my 3 Somniosus microcephalus upper in my matrix

Enjoy greats Arien

Hi This tooth messures 1 cm long and 4 mm wide and it is pliocene in age

Greats Arien van Oord

Yeah Rick where you guys find the nicest Megalodons we found the nicest smaller teeth there have to be a diverence LoL

I Found several lowers but only three uppers so they are rater rare over here as wel

Greats Arien van Oord

Marco Sr.,

There are two other sites/areas I know of: Scymnodon, represented by a single tooth, is known from the Late Pleistocene of Newport Bay, Orange County, California (see Welton, 1981); "?Scymnodon" is known from the latest Oligocene (or earliest Miocene) of Mendocino County, California (see Phillips, Welton, and Welton, 1976).

Several years ago, I tried to locate the Mendocino County site on two occasions but failed - not a scrap of a fossil found.

Jess

Phillips, F.J,, B.Welton, and J. Welton. 1976..

Paleontologic Studies of the Middle Tertiary Skooner Gulch and Galloway Formations at Point Arena, California. In Fritsche, A.E., H.T. Best, Jr., and W.W. Wornardt (eds.). The Neogene Symposium: selected papers on paleontology, sedimentology, petrology, tectonics, geologic history of the Pacific Coast of North America.. Annual Meeting Pacific Section SEPM San Francisco, California. April 1976. pp.137-154.

Welton, B.J. 1981.

Svmnodon ?ringens a New Addition to the Ichthyofauna of the Late Pleistocene Palos Verdes Sand at Newport Bay Mesa, Orange County, California. Bull. Southern California Acad. Sci. 80(2): 49-59.

Arien

Really nice tooth!!!! I wish we could find Somniosinae in the US. I've only seen them from the Cretaceous Pecan Gap Chalk of Texas.

Marco Sr.

Several years ago, I tried to locate the Mendocino County site on two occasions but failed - not a scrap of a fossil found.

Jess

Welton, B.J. 1981.

Scymnodon ?ringens a New Addition to the Ichthyofauna of the Late Pleistocene Palos Verdes Sand at Newport Bay Mesa, Orange County, California. Bull. Southern California Acad. Sci. 80(2): 49-59.

Jess

Thank you for the references. I wasn't aware of Scymnodon from the US. I was able to download the Southern California Acad. Sci. 80(2): 49-59 from their website.

I'll try e-mailing Bruce to see if I can find out anything more about the Mendocino County site. If I do. I'll PM you.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png