Evolution To Be Taught At Schools In The Uk

DE&i

This news is a bit hit and miss at the moment , does anyone else know anything about this topic.

Darren.

Edited by D&E

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

The only info I could find is from late 2012. But most of the schools the new legislation were designed to impact had not opened yet, so its possible its creating waves again now as it actually starts impacting them. It looks like they are tightening the rules around funding for "free schools" to ensure that they both do not teach creationism as a science (ensuring it can only be taught as a religious ideology) and that they DO teach evolution in science classes. Originally the legislation only required the first portion (cant teach creationism as science) but they quickly realized that created a loophole allowing creationist schools to simply not teach evolution at all, while covering creationism in religion classes. This would leave them with only one world view (creationism) and would create the same original problem.

Source:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/nov/30/free-schools-teach-evolution-ministers

Edited by jualhadun87

Just read that....its like a breath of fresh air , why its took so long I'll never understand.

Is evolution taught in schools in America.

Darren.

Regards.....D&E&i

My understanding is that evolution is not required to be taught, many states its optional, and in a number of states its taught, but from a critical standpoint that highlights perceived flaws in evolution. Its a huge battle in the US, the main issue is that 46% of the population believes in creationism and that humans were created by a god in the last 10,000 years. Only 15% of the population here believes that life evolved by itself without any divine guidance. There has been a movement in various states pushing for intelligent design to be taught side by side with evolution and to treat both topics the same. Part of the issue is that publishers of texts books usually write them with the strictest states guidelines in mind, and that means that Texas largely controls what goes into text books since they school boards there are particularly focused on not treating evolution any different than creationism and to remain "neutral" on the subjects.

The latest version of the National curriculum for England (2014) was published this week. The Department for Education press release said that: “Evolution will be taught to primary pupils for the first time”. That’s true, but in the previous draft version, pupils in year 4 were expected to comprehend some basic concepts allied to evolution – such as the inheritance of characteristics in plants and animals (including humans). Certain religious groups objected to this and all evolutionary concepts will now be off the curriculum until year 6 according to this latest version.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

The theory of evolution is the fundamental basis of all biological science.

Biology can't be taught without incorporating the fundamental basis of it all.

Therefore, if biology is taught in school, so is evolution.

That's why asking if evolution is taught in schools is like asking if biology is taught in schools. Of course, it is.

The theory of evolution is the fundamental basis of all biological science.

Biology can't be taught without incorporating the fundamental basis of it all.

Therefore, if biology is taught in school, so is evolution.

That's why asking if evolution is taught in schools is like asking if biology is taught in schools. Of course, it is.

I can totally appreciate your understanding but i think to teach evolution successfully, teachers need to be prepared with a conceptual understanding of the topic and with effective curricular strategies. Teachers that develop a depth of knowledge beyond what is actually expected of students should be able to confidently adjust instruction in response to students' needs and inquiries. I think this will be particularly true in the teaching of evolution, where students' questions can be numerous and challenging.

Will the teachers teach the evidence supporting evolutionary theory?

Regards,

Darren.

Edited by D&E

Regards.....D&E&i

• 8 months later...

Religious Education is compulsory in schools here in the UK. With my son telling me he learnt the world was made in 7 days, but then reminded me about the big bang. It was a tough call i had no answer.

All advice needed please.

Regards,

Darren.

Regards.....D&E&i