Id These Buffalo Pyrite/marcasite Pieces

hrguy54

I included these in an earlier post, asking for input on what they may be, but only got one person's thoughts. So, I'll try this venue. I know it's marcasite so these may be history in 5 years or so (I'll attempt to "save" them), but still.....

I thought these may be burrows because I found several similar pieces in the same area and they all look very similar.

post-7762-0-68072100-1373662763_thumb.jpg post-7762-0-99497700-1373662785_thumb.jpg

These two pieces each have a stem like appearance to them. I don't figure the "blob" at the end of the one is anything in particular.

post-7762-0-63220000-1373662847_thumb.jpg post-7762-0-79136800-1373662859_thumb.jpg

Edited by hrguy54

This is the only one that garnered a response, I agree it looks brachiopod/clam-ish.

post-7762-0-58545400-1373662972_thumb.jpg

People's thoughts?

An aside to their ID, I find it interesting but inconsequential, for all the 60-70 pieces I found, that in direct light the light never reflects straight back to the eye, there is always a halo effect no matter the angle. As if the faces of all the crystals are not pointing upward from the piece but at similar angles.

well i think u have burrows in all the pics...and the second post is a bivalve not a brachiopod i be leave i know what it is but need more info like where and what formation is the best info u can give

P.S. the blob at the end i find very interesting i think there is more to that...does the smooth cast go through that or just enters it from the one side

Edited by toren

The smooth cast appears to extend further into the "blob" but not all the way. More pics:

post-7762-0-16432600-1373675765_thumb.jpg post-7762-0-30399100-1373675785_thumb.jpg

I don't know what the blob in the fourth photo is, but I'll suggest that the triangular shell with the flattened, triangular cross-section and longitudinal sulci may be one of the Hyolitha, perhaps Hallotheca aclis (Hall, 1876). See John M. Malinky, Robert M. Linsley, and Ellis L. Yochelson, “Taxonomic Revision of Hyolitha from the Middle Paleozoic of North America,” Journal of Paleontology 61, no. 6 (1987): pp. 1173–1186.

I found one of these specimens at the Geer Road Quarry, outside of Hamilton NY, last month, which is where the authors found the majority of specimens described in this paper.

I 'm not sure of the "blob" either ...more interested in the stem-like, smooth cast pieces and the possible burrows.

These were all found in a creek bed/embankment out in the woods near Alden NY. I have no idea of the formation.

ok i see it had gone threw it...i was thinking it may had been the bottom of the burrow..post-11484-0-17523600-1373750199_thumb.jpg..as u can see i have many of them cast too and if u look in bottom of the pic u'll see two cast those r burrowing clams....that i just found out about my self..can't think of the name off the top of my head

and the clam is not what i thought it was ...way too old....everything up there is over 400mya

The Alden, NY, material is from the Ledyard Shale, Ludlowville Formation, Hamilton Group, M. Devonian (Givetian). The clam looks like a Nuculites triqueter. The blob is likely a hyolithid. Some of the cylindrical material may be orthocone cephalopods. See:

http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~kwilson/Devonian/DevSites/pyritebs/aldnfosl.htm

Karl A. Wilson
(NY Paleontology): http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~kwilson/home.htm

By the way, I have successfully kept Alden fossils for >30 years by keeping them in sealed "Tupperware" type boxes with silica gel desiccant.

That's exactly what I had in mind. Also thinking a similar container but with a screw-on lid. Thanks for the information.

The Alden, NY, material is from the Ledyard Shale, Ludlowville Formation, Hamilton Group, M. Devonian (Givetian). The clam looks like a Nuculites triqueter. The blob is likely a hyolithid. Some of the cylindrical material may be orthocone cephalopods. See:

http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~kwilson/Devonian/DevSites/pyritebs/aldnfosl.htm

Do you think the "burrows" are burrows?

Could be. I recall reading a paper once upon a time on pyrite diagenesis, and I think one of the possible routes was precipitation of the iron at the site of anaerobic decay of organics (such as the mucus that coats the walls of some animals' burrows).

Karl A. Wilson
(NY Paleontology): http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~kwilson/home.htm

Tom,

Glad you found the site ok and found some interesting stuff! I agree with the ID's that Karl posted. The First batch of photos could be burrows, crinoid stems, orthocones, who knows? The Marcasite has really taken over those pieces.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/