Found A Large Crinoid Bed.

Petrified

I kept passing an area in town here that I always wanted to check out. It was a large shale bed wall on outskirts of town. Well me and a buddy of mine went there this morning and checked it out and Im glad we did. This is the only one I kept but couldnt believe all the Crinoids we came across in less than a half hr looking. This is the only full one we found.

• I found this Informative 1

Definition of a fossil= Love at first site.

To be honest I didnt know Crinoids were in my area here. What period are these crinoids from and what else could pop up at this location? When we looked it was all worm trace fossils and crinoids.

That is a pretty one. Congrats.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

WOW! :wub:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

This is near Ridgeway? It is somewhere in the Devonian-Mississippian-Pennsylvanian span. My experience there is that the rocks are very stingy with their crinoids; you have found a great site!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

congratulations, an exciting new site to explore :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

This is near Ridgeway? It is somewhere in the Devonian-Mississippian-Pennsylvanian span. My experience there is that the rocks are very stingy with their crinoids; you have found a great site!

This is right in town of Ridgeway. This really threw me off when the crinoids popped up. The only stuff I found in town before was Carboniferous time frame. If anybody wants to come to this site with me they are more than welcomed.

Beautiful crinoid!

I wish I could be of more help in IDing it, but I am very shaky on Pennsylvanian (age) crinoids. I believe the entire Ridgeway area is Pennsylvanian. You have a very rare find, even rarer if it is, in fact, Pennsylvanian. The stem looks pentagonal and very cirriferous. That is a good place to start with the identification.

Congrats on such a nice find!

Gabe

I like crinoids......

...I believe the entire Ridgeway area is Pennsylvanian...

The majority of the exposed bedrock there is Pennsylvanian, but along the Clarion's channel quite a bit of Mississippian rock can be found, and a bit of Devonian, too. Maybe some index fossils can be found in association to be sure of the age of this outcrop.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I am going back to the area on Tuesday to dig for 3 hrs. I will grab some extra samples to send to someone on this forum who could identify time frame for me. Let me know who to send it to. And thanks for all the Congrats it definitely made my day and wanted to find one.

Edited by Petrified

The majority of the exposed bedrock there is Pennsylvanian, but along the Clarion's channel quite a bit of Mississippian rock can be found, and a bit of Devonian, too. Maybe some index fossils can be found in association to be sure of the age of this outcrop.

I did not know that! Hopefully the other fauna from the roadcut can give an indication of age. I am quite interested in what this crinoid is, and I'm looking forward to an answer. Thanks for the correction, Auspex!

Gabe

I like crinoids......

I believe that this Crinois is called Arthroacantha carpenteri.

I believe that this Crinois is called Arthroacantha carpenteri.

If so, then the site is Devonian.

Its the only Crinoid I saw that had branches off of it as it goes to the top. Is there any from other time periods that have that.

Do you have the other half of the rock. The calyx is in the other half.

crinus

The Calyx is still in this rock. The Crinoid goes into the rock where the calyx is and see some of it visible. I need to get this prepped.