Nj Fossil Trip Cretaceous

Mike and the Megs!

Decided to make a trip up to a creek near Holmdel park in NJ to see what I could find. Walked about 3/4 down the trail and walked into the creek and two minutes later , bam! Nice point with just the blade showing. About ten minutes later and another one !!! Made my trip for sure. Found 75 teeth total, two points and a nice vert. Thoughts on the arrowheads? Types? Time frame? Thanks

post-5168-0-82883700-1374029439_thumb.jpg

post-5168-0-94164000-1374029454_thumb.jpg

post-5168-0-35594800-1374029498_thumb.jpg

post-5168-0-99872200-1374029608_thumb.jpg

Nice finds! The bigger black point is a Drybrook fishtail...late archaic to early woodland, and the pretty, smaller point looks like a Tocks island type of point, mid to late woodland period.

don't get spoiled! that's about as good a day as anyone can hope for, anywhere. good work!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

nice finds man! still have not found my first point yet!

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

Thanks Lordpiney. Just back in NJ for a few weeks and needed to find something. Drove up from jacksonville Fl and was camped right near GMR in NC for a creek hunt only to have a flooding thunderstorm turn the creek into a river in no time early AM. First time hunting in NJ and everything was found surface collecting.

Thanks Lordpiney. Just back in NJ for a few weeks and needed to find something. Drove up from jacksonville Fl and was camped right near GMR in NC for a creek hunt only to have a flooding thunderstorm turn the creek into a river in no time early AM. First time hunting in NJ and everything was found surface collecting.

Your welcome bud. artifacts are usually pretty rare, but ive found a few throughout the years in that area. there are a couple of creeks in that general vicinity, that have some good surface collecting. if your gonna go again before you head back, let me know. i'll show you around.

Yea sounds good. Ill message you. I was going to try early next week like Monday or Tuesday

Lordpiney, back in my day we called that an Orient Fishtail.......

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Rich, they are almost identicle. both from the same time frame, both with the same basic shape. however, an Orient fishtail, has a slightly more concave base, and they are almost always rounded on the sides. a Drybrook fishtail. almost always has a flat base, and they are more triangular looking with straight sides.

• I found this Informative 1