Check Out My Vert

fossil man

This thanksgiving i seem my cousin who is also interested in fossils. She called and said that she had some fossils she wanted me to see. So i am thinking ones she has found. But now she had gone to a day care and there was a box outside with several fossils in it and she said the box had been there a while. She asked the lady about the box and she said that they where her uncles who had pasted away and that if my cousin wanted the fossils that she could have them, becuase nobody in her family wanted them. They were all good sized bone. When she asked my if i wanted one i was shocked, because they were all nice fossils. I chose the biggest vert. hopeing it was a plesi. vert but with such a closely space nutrient grove i am guessing not correct. There will be several follow up pics. Any help i could get with this one i would really appreciate. I have invited her to the forum, so hopefully she will join soon. Thanks in advance for any help.

Lloyd

post-137-1228276893_thumb.jpg

post-137-1228276966_thumb.jpg

Looks like a Mio/Plio whale vert

I agree.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

When you say "check out my vert", I was thinking that you have a terrible pain on your back, due to the many ours you spend looking for fossils !post-62-1228290959.gif

When you say "check out my vert", I was thinking that you have a terrible pain on your back, due to the many ours you spend looking for fossils !post-62-1228290959.gif

Well Moropus if you think you can help out with that problem i take a shot for you, JK

Well Moropus if you think you can help out with that problem i take a shot for you, JK

:D Hey man, it was a joke! If I have offended you, please let me know... ;)

:D Hey man, it was a joke! If I have offended you, please let me know... ;)

No. i was just going along with it, you have in no way offened me, its all good :D

If it was from the south east U.S. the large foramen on the vert would make me think it's Archaeocete whale.

Here's a link that shows similar structures in an Archaeocete from South Carolina.

http://www.blackriverfossils.org/Portals/0...archvert2a.jpeg

paleoron

I dont have a clue as to where it came from since the collector had passed away and the family had no interest in it. But the few pics i looked look very similar to the one you have the link for. Thanks for the info, its nice to narrow down the id