Fossil Sharks And Rays From The Cretaceous Of Texas

wfrr

For the last couple of months I've been pretty staying on a short leash close to home. You know, money is pretty tight these days and theres not much extra to spend. Saying that t's sure good having a selection of Eagle Ford areas and an Atco member site very near the house. We've explored those often. My 6 year old grand daughter has started her own shark tooth collection. I put her on a few and then she started spotting the ones my worn out old eyes could not see.

Today I loaded her and my hunting buddy Mark in the car and for once we were not headed to a fossil hunting site but to meet a fellow fossil hunter and author Roger Farish.

Roger invited us to his home in order that we could buy a couple copies of his book The Collectors Guide to Fossil Sharks and Rays fron the Cretaceous of Texas.

Roger and his wife showed us some of their great fossils, minerals and artifacts on display in their home. She also collects and has some excellent finds in the glass case. He showed us how to use his book in great detail and looked at a few fossils we found and had questions about. He went over some other maps and publications that he thought we might find useful. His wife even entertained my little granddaughter. He let her pick out a sea urchin for her collection. What nice people and I can tell you that his book is very well written and jammed full of information. It's layed out in an easy to use format. I am sure glad to have a copy of it in my hands.

We learned a great deal today talking to them and with this publication we will certainly continue to learn. He even thought he might have an extra copy of The Pennsylvanian Fossils of Texas he could hook me up with but he was down to his one and only copy. Dang it. I'll sniff one of those out one of these days and maybe I'll have a few bucks in my pocket to buy it with when I do.

Roger is a member and advocate of the DALLAS PALEONTOLOGICAL SOCIETY. He invited us to join them on a field trip Aug 17th. I don't know if I will feel very comfortable doing that until I am able to join and I may have to put that off a while longer. Economics again.

If this summer ever gets over things will be better so I am looking for an early fall. I also love to hunt fossils in the fall, cooler weather vs July and August. It's true we have been provided with some days of beautiful unseasonal weather this summer and I have certainly taken advantage of those days.

• I found this Informative 1

That was a fortunate meeting.. Most group hunts are open to non-members. The quarries are usually members only..

It would be a great chance to meet a lot of other hunters in your area and there could easily be other non-members as well.

I hope you decide to go.. The book, "Pennsylvanian Fossils of North Texas", is a needed book to have for this area.

I have been continually looking at mine all the time. In fact, it's next to my computer right now. I have seen it online for $18.00.

Welcome to the forum!

Well...if it's really not an imposition to the paying members maybe we will go. I forgot to ask where the Dallas Palentological Society holds their meetings, we may try to make one of those and learn more about membership and such. As far as the book goes I must have one of those.

Edited by wfrr

DPS meets at Brookhaven College in Farmers Branch every 2nd Wednesday. No need to join to enjoy a meeting and you can get directions for the hunt on the 17th. Also see www.dallaspaleo.org

Roger will be there, he takes videos of the programs.

Bob

Edited by BobWill

Wfrr,

I met Roger Farish and Bruce Welton twenty years ago when their book was brand new. They were selling copies at the Tucson mineral and fossil shows. I still have the copy they signed for me.

I haven't heard from Bruce in years though I know he's now retired. I have seen Roger at the Tucson shows since then - most recently last year. They are good guys.

Jess

For the last couple of months I've been pretty staying on a short leash close to home. You know, money is pretty tight these days and theres not much extra to spend. Saying that t's sure good having a selection of Eagle Ford areas and an Atco member site very near the house. We've explored those often. My 6 year old grand daughter has started her own shark tooth collection. I put her on a few and then she started spotting the ones my worn out old eyes could not see.

Today I loaded her and my hunting buddy Mark in the car and for once we were not headed to a fossil hunting site but to meet a fellow fossil hunter and author Roger Farish.

Roger invited us to his home in order that we could buy a couple copies of his book The Collectors Guide to Fossil Sharks and Rays fron the Cretaceous of Texas.

Roger and his wife showed us some of their great fossils, minerals and artifacts on display in their home. She also collects and has some excellent finds in the glass case. He showed us how to use his book in great detail and looked at a few fossils we found and had questions about. He went over some other maps and publications that he thought we might find useful. His wife even entertained my little granddaughter. He let her pick out a sea urchin for her collection. What nice people and I can tell you that his book is very well written and jammed full of information. It's layed out in an easy to use format. I am sure glad to have a copy of it in my hands.

We learned a great deal today talking to them and with this publication we will certainly continue to learn. He even thought he might have an extra copy of The Pennsylvanian Fossils of Texas he could hook me up with but he was down to his one and only copy. Dang it. I'll sniff one of those out one of these days and maybe I'll have a few bucks in my pocket to buy it with when I do.

Roger is a member and advocate of the DALLAS PALEONTOLOGICAL SOCIETY. He invited us to join them on a field trip Aug 17th. I don't know if I will feel very comfortable doing that until I am able to join and I may have to put that off a while longer. Economics again.

If this summer ever gets over things will be better so I am looking for an early fall. I also love to hunt fossils in the fall, cooler weather vs July and August. It's true we have been provided with some days of beautiful unseasonal weather this summer and I have certainly taken advantage of those days.

Yep. Roger and Linda are good people for sure! I am glad you got a chance to spend a little time with them.