Should It Stay Or Should It Go?

pinkpantherbeekeeper

So I am posting this from my phone in the banks of an Indiana creek. I have found a lage deposit of fossils while walking the creek!!! Yea! So im excited but soon realise that like one in three rocks is a fossil. Thats fine and dandy but no im not sure what to take and what to leave? Most are keepers but so me are so-so. Either water worn or not a lot of surface definition but you can make out some fossils. Those seem like they might be good to clean up and remove some matrix around them. But there is ALOT of them. Im only like a mile from my house so its not a huge deal to carry them home. But id like opinions for when its not easy to carry them back. Also would like to know what you guys just leave behind. Thanks!!!

Ipost-12478-0-96129200-1374516444_thumb.jpg

Ipost-12478-0-13761900-1374516539_thumb.jpg

Ipost-12478-0-95753000-1374516590_thumb.jpg

Ipost-12478-0-97424300-1374516641_thumb.jpg

Ipost-12478-0-02716600-1374516709_thumb.jpg

post-12478-0-11151300-1374516876_thumb.jpg

N

Sorry if the last two dont show up well. It is some sort of coral that is worn and is grape fruit sized

Your questions are the same one most everyone asks about a collecting hobby when they start to find new and interesting things. There are usually a number of phases we all go through until we ultimately find a focus to narrow down to (unless our ultimate demise predates that end point).

Collect and display what you think is really cool or different.......don't rely on other peoples suggestions. Your region of the country and your travel limitations may provide your initial findings, but as you can see from other postings here, some guys collect boulders for garden displays and some guys collect microscopic stuff.

My only suggestion at this point is to keep shooting for completeness in specimens and for condition.....keep highgrading whatever you collect. Go out allot and don't be too judgemental early on. That comes all too soon as it is.

Have fun.

Edited by Sacha

Unfortunately I am quite picky with what I will keep for my personal collections. I tend to hold onto unflawed specimens. Pieces that are broken or not up to my standards I will donate it to our local rockhounding clubs as raffle prizes or sell them on EBay. Lots of collectors will be overjoyed to have type specimens for their collections. If you feel you would like it at your house then bring it on home. Be careful if you collect everything you find, it wont be long before the "collection" takes over. You can always trade out better found specimens for older ones that "just don't cut the mustard". Happy hunting!

Edited by caldigger

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

... and some guys collect microscopic stuff.

Like me.

Honestly, my collection is tiny (mostly microscopic!) so when I find something nice and big for a change I typically keep it even if flawed. The area I live in is full of poorly preserved empty molds of what would have been great fossils. So whenever I'm on vacation I like to pick up lots of fossils 'cause there aren't many at home. Consider yourself lucky to have an area of rather nice fossils (compared to my local site).

Stephen