I Have A Couple Of Things That Need A Name.

jpbowden

Is the last one some sort of coral or sponge? I know I have seen it somewhere before.

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

How 'bout Manny, Moe, and Jack? :P

(Sorry, couldn't help it. The snails are really nice, 'specially the first one. I guess the third item is a bryozoan?)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ok, I have a question with probably obvious answer: What is the difference between a coral and a bryzoan? Please educate me.

(Sorry, couldn't help it. The snails are really nice, 'specially the first one. I guess the third item is a bryozoan?)

I have just slit my wrist

The net-like structure looks like the bryozoan Fenestellina. You'd get more help if you'd provide collecting data and age.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

They are from the Whiskey River Bridge, Stone City formation of the Eocene here in Texas.

Try something like this :rolleyes:

(1) Turriteilu ?? = aka Manny

(2) Ecphora ?? = aka Moe

(3)Bryozoans, Fenstrellina =aka Jack

Pat,

The snail in the upper photo on the left is Trigonostoma panones juniperum (Harris). The snail in the upper photo on the right and the middle row on the left I can't id from the pictures. The last two photos are of a bryozoan named Trigonopora grande (Cantu and Bassler). When you come to visit bring that other snail so I can get a better look at it and we will id it.

The Eocene is my favorite

Pat,

The snail in the upper photo on the left is Trigonostoma panones juniperum (Harris). The snail in the upper photo on the right and the middle row on the left I can't id from the pictures. The last two photos are of a bryozoan named Trigonopora grande (Cantu and Bassler). When you come to visit bring that other snail so I can get a better look at it and we will id it.

I sure will, thanks for the help.

Ok, I have a question with probably obvious answer: What is the difference between a coral and a bryzoan? Please educate me.

Screweduptexan,

Good question. OK, Corals are part of the phylum Coelenterata or Cnidaria if you prefer. They are the most simply organized animals having well developed body tissues. They essentially have tentacles surrounding the mouth and stinging cells. They may be solitary or colonial animals. The bryozoan are a separate Phylum, Bryozoa. They are always colonial and do not have stinging cells. They are more complex than Cnidaria, having in addition to tentacles around a mouth they have a digestive tract and a body cavity that contains reproductive elements. This is best I remember from my Zoology days.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

They are from the Whiskey River Bridge, Stone City formation of the Eocene here in Texas.

Did you find them next to a bridge off a highway about 45 miles south of Dallas?

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

Did you find them next to a bridge off a highway about 45 miles south of Dallas?

Their from near Bryan, Texas.

Thanks for putting up that link; lots of folks will find it very useful. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus

^^The article didn't specify, but Bryozoa have a "U" shaped gut track. As such, they are a more advanced critter.

Thanks for the comparison between bryzoa and coral. I knew y'all would have the answer.